Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   What idle speed is too high for a Bravo (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/366990-what-idle-speed-too-high-bravo.html)

Budman II 06-18-2020 09:27 AM

What idle speed is too high for a Bravo

I am having some issues getting my idle down below 900-1000 RPM. I think I have something binding in the throttle plate - maybe needs new bushings. It runs and idles fine, and I can press down on the throttle lever at the carb and it will idle down to around 800 RPM where I want it, but as soon as I use the stick to rev it up at all, when I pull the stick down it stays around 1000 RPM. Obviously I am going to keep working to correct this issue, but how much of a chance am I taking with it damaging the clutches on my drive if I shift at 1000 RPM?

TomZ 06-18-2020 10:09 AM

I wouldn't go more than 900 RPM max. Anything over that and you start to risk damage to the clutch.

distantthunder 06-18-2020 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Budman II (Post 4744146)
I am having some issues getting my idle down below 900-1000 RPM. I think I have something binding in the throttle plate - maybe needs new bushings. It runs and idles fine, and I can press down on the throttle lever at the carb and it will idle down to around 800 RPM where I want it, but as soon as I use the stick to rev it up at all, when I pull the stick down it stays around 1000 RPM. Obviously I am going to keep working to correct this issue, but how much of a chance am I taking with it damaging the clutches on my drive if I shift at 1000 RPM?

Agree with TomZ. I also set my carb's up by disconnecting Throttle Cables and getting it set/idling where I want. Then adjust the cable barrels to sit loosely on the lever. My first click on the sticks has minimal influence on the RPM's which I find comfortable for operation.

liberator221 06-18-2020 10:44 AM

Check your secondaries.

SB 06-18-2020 11:42 AM

I set idle with cable disconnected, then when idle all set, i install and set cable with a tiny bit of tension trying to close throttle harder.

Budman II 06-18-2020 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by liberator221 (Post 4744160)
Check your secondaries.

Do you think it might be the secondary linkage binding, or maybe the secondary throttle plates being open a little?

Budman II 06-18-2020 12:55 PM

I am going to take the advice and disconnect the linkage. I can press down on it and get it to sit on the throttle stop, and it idles fine at around 800. I guess I need to determine if the problem is in the carb linkage or the boat throttle linkage. Thanks for the replies - I will post an update.

SB 06-18-2020 02:39 PM

The throttle lever is resistant to move from carb idle speed screw. Throttle lever also has a stop and cable is solid.Gas pedal in a car has no issue moving and stranded cable sometimes has slack and can bend with no effort. Thus why you must follow procedures most of us have detailed.

zz28zz 06-18-2020 03:36 PM

Have you verified the butterflies are centered in their bores at idle? That can resist/prevent the throttle from coming all the way down to idle.

Budman II 06-18-2020 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by zz28zz (Post 4744194)
Have you verified the butterflies are centered in their bores at idle? That can resist/prevent the throttle from coming all the way down to idle.

I'll check that tonight. I would expect that to be more of an issue if the butterflies were removed from the shafts, and I don't think they ever have on this carb.