My 1st boat won’t start  - 1996 Maxum 1700sr >

My 1st boat won’t start - 1996 Maxum 1700sr

Notices

My 1st boat won’t start - 1996 Maxum 1700sr

Old 07-08-2020, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My 1st boat won’t start - 1996 Maxum 1700sr

I bought my first boat a few weeks back and thought it was going to be a fun, easy project. The boat sat for about two years without running before I got it but seemed to be solid. I put a new starter and battery in it, changed the oil, and threw on a new Oil filter. It fired right up and ran great the first day I had it on the lake. Ran it for a good 3-4 hours, turning it off and back on with no issue. Then the last time I tried starting it on that first day, it wouldn’t fire back up.
I have since had the carb rebuilt, changed the spark plugs, changed the fuel filter, and changed the fuel line. Also threw some of that enzyme fuel treatment in it last time I refilled the tank. After It sits for a day or two, the boat will usually fire right up, but if I turn it off, I can’t get it to start back up.
I put a new fuel line on it tonight, as a little fuel was leaking out at the carb connection. Now the connection is good on carb but I noticed fuel is now leaking out of the fuel pump. I took fuel pump apart, and put it back together real slow and steady, making sure everything was put back properly and was tight. Still having a minor leak around fuel pump and Boat won’t start.
I’m no boat mechanic, and have mainly just been going off YouTube on how to do this stuff, so can’t be 100% certain I did all of the above mentioned things correctly, but I’ve been going slow and double or triple checking everything I’ve done, so I don’t think there are any issues with what I’ve done.
At this point, I’m at a loss. Really hoping to get it out in time to enjoy the summer and any of the boat shops around me can’t even look at it until around fall time. Plus it’s a pride thing at this point - feel like Turing it over to a shop would be giving up on myself. Any advice or recommendations would be genuinely appreciated. Thanks in advance for the consideration and reading all this
Old 07-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

first thing is to fix the fuel leak or you could have a fiery explosion.after that when it won,t start check for spark.it sounds like it could be something electrical.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike tkach:
Griff (07-09-2020), SB (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 08:37 PM
Registered

Definitely sound advice, Mike. I appreciate that.
The fuel pump wasn’t leaking early. I’ve been avoiding starting since the line going into the carb was leaking. Just replaced the fuel line tonight and it fired right up, then I noticed fuel pump was leaking, or maybe the connection from the line to the pump. After reassembling fuel pump, and noticing it was still leaking, I didn’t try starting again.
If you were me, what would your next move be?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:38 PM
Registered

I think spark is good. It’s got new plugs, new starter, and new battery. Plus it will always start the first time after sitting for a day +. It just struggles starting after shutting off then firing back up
Old 07-08-2020, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Like mike said fix the danger first right from start to completion. Then move to electrical and take your time. Don't rush. Check all wire connections and or replace if in question. A simple test light and volt/amperage meter all you really need. I'd guess a ground or lack of but no way of knowing for sure.

Fuel and spark equals START Typically!!!

good luck
Old 07-08-2020, 09:01 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

What motor and carburetor ?

Go gat a lisle sealed spark tester for under $20at any part store.

The following users liked this post:
PA.WOODCHUCK (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:05 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

What did you use for fuel line ? Can you take a pic of it installed - ie good engine shot.

Very easy to burn yourself, your boat, and anything nearby with fuel leaks in a boat. Much different than a car. Ie: enclosed engine compartments and etc, even with engine cover up. Fumes sibnk. Boats have sealed bottoms. car’s don’t.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

If it has sat and the Fuel pump is leaking, it may not be holding prime and delivering proper pressure? If you are changing it, put a marine pump on as they do not leak into the bilge by design + CG certified

Is there fuel in the oil?

+1 on resolving the leak... a cup of fuel in the bilge is as dangerous as a gallon. Less than a gallon of fuel in the bilge of a wooden 35 cruiser on a hot day will erase anything that resembled a boat right down into the water line as the fumes fill the boat.
The following users liked this post:
drewpwick (07-09-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 PM
Registered

I have used all the specific parts for my exact boat. It’s a 3.0 mercruiser engine. Not letting me post a picture yet - says I have to make 10 posts first. Will upload picture as soon as possible
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 PM
Registered

Sounds like I should replace the fuel pump either way and test the electrical connections?
The following 2 users liked this post by drewpwick:
getrdunn (07-08-2020), mike tkach (07-08-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.