I think I lose my prime

Notices

I think I lose my prime

Old 02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Jojoegen
no sight glass.no fuel activating accel pump so there’s no doubt that there is no fuel in the bowl until primed a number of times. Why is there a leak down, don’t know and then electric fuel pump scares the hell out of me. I know she’s a cold blooded animal but she can’t be that cold
After just several pumps, the accelerator pump will consume most of the fuel in the bowls.

Check right after engine runs. If they don’t squirt first pump, someone messed up that circuit and thus why hard starting.

Also, ignition timing crucial on these. If off at all, hard to start. Especially if retarded.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:43 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Jojoegen
no sight glass.no fuel activating accel pump so there’s no doubt that there is no fuel in the bowl until primed a number of times. Why is there a leak down, don’t know and then electric fuel pump scares the hell out of me. I know she’s a cold blooded animal but she can’t be that cold
If its a Holley carb then its got sight plugs on the sides of the fuel bowls. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-26-13
If you don't know where the sight plugs are then how did the floats in the fuel bowls get adjusted?? They need to be adjusted in the boat.
Old 02-12-2021, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 4,271 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Blower motors just by their nature never want to start easy when cold.
They will crank for a while.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

You should research what carb you have and do a search on basic carb parts and functions. No need to put an electric fuel pump if your have a properly working carb. Another suggestion would be to take the carb off and take in to a mechanic to do a quick once over.

You could be having simple needle and seat issues or a bad accelerator pump. If your losing fuel out of your bowls then is it just dumping all that fuel down into your blower possibly resulting in hard starts or fouling plugs. Something funky going on.

Take me a pic of carb and post.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks getrdunn. Due to this problem I had the carburetor rebuilt new power valve needle and seat etc. etc. etc. Come hell or Highwater, but don’t quote me on that, I am going to find out that carb number from the guy who rebuilt the carburetor. I know that supercharged engine and they are hard starting usually do a lot better when you had some timing but in my boat in St. Petersburg Florida, I don’t believe that any mechanic down here knows Anything about supercharged engines. Two mechanics that I supposed to be good do nothing but scratch their heads. And I don’t know if I would trust them to change the timing and a blow up my damn motor. So basically I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place unless anyone knows of someone in the area That knows anything about supercharged motors. This is my first supercharger. All of my other racing motors were tunnel rims and leg racing boats. I am stuck and I hate being in this position and having to revert to starter fluid. That really is a no no. Safety is my first concern especially mine so if anyone knows of anyone around this area please let me know. Ciao
Old 02-13-2021, 09:53 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I thought FL was I/O supercharged capitol of the world ? Maybe tied with Michigan, but......
Old 02-13-2021, 09:23 PM
Registered

Angry

Originally Posted by Griff
If its a Holley carb then its got sight plugs on the sides of the fuel bowls. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-26-13
If you don't know where the sight plugs are then how did the floats in the fuel bowls get adjusted?? They need to be adjusted in the boat.
Been racing since I was 17 and messing with engine since I was 12. Yes I know where the site plugs are .The problem is Crawling all over the engine trying to see the fuel level Add 245 pounds and 5 foot six . I did not rebuild a carburetor but a mechanic down here did. No difference in starting before or after so the only thing that remains that was original is the carburetor casing itself so now I’m thinking about buying a new carburetor and a new fuel pump and if that doesn’t solve it then I have wasted a lot of money. My next thought was an EFI Holley EFI sniper. so here’s the deal. 1. Change to EFI with the supercharger.2 change carburetor and fuel pump and anti-siphon valve and hope for the best. 3. Get rid of the supercharger and just go back to the plain old boring four barrel with maybe an Edelbrock manifold and carburetor. Boring., keep starting it with starter fluid which I think is dangerous. SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.. Oh and by the way, does anyone know of anyone that works on Performance MerCruiser engines that maybe will take a look at it near Tampa/Saint Petersburg area? They all look at it for the money but don’t know what the hell they’re looking at. My brain is fried
Old 02-13-2021, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if this could be an issue for you. I rebuilt a 260 mercruiser once, Vortec heads, cam, manifold, roller rockers, etc. In my wisdom I decided to remove the anti siphon valve from the fuel tank and use a straight fitting because I thought it would be a restriction. I rebuilt the stock Quadrajunk carb myself. It was also difficult to start and I often used starter fluid sprayed into the K&N velocity stack, and when I rebuilt the Quadrajunk I had to remove the choke because the new manifold did not have provision for the heat source. I later found out that someone was making an electric choke kit for Quadrajunks. Once the engine started it ran perfect and always restarted quickly. If I sat for over 30 minutes it became more difficult to start. I finally figured the fuel was draining back to the tank since I removed the anti-siphon valve, so I bought another one and installed it. After that it started like it used to, with a few pumps of the lever. You may already have checked your anti-siphon valve. It had one of those large cannister oil filter looking fuel filters and I just could not believe all that siphoned back to the tank, and perhaps it did not, but after reinstalling the anti-siphon valve it started fine.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for your reply, I am going to check the anti-siphon valve first. I’ve been thinking about the sniper by Harley EFI system but I am going to try the anti-siphon valve replacement first I thinkAnd see what happens. I would love to see what everybody else feels. Thanks very much for your reply again
Old 02-14-2021, 02:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

I would try to help more but you have been working on engines since you were 12

Nobody is going to be able help you diagnose your issue if you can't provide basic information.
Rebuilding a carb is cleaning and replacing parts. Tuning a carb is whole different thing. The only way there isn't fuel in the fuel bowls is if it is leaking internally.

Looks like an ongoing problem that was never fixed. Supercharged starting hard
Same mechanic rebuild the carb?? Why didn't he get it running correctly??

The following 2 users liked this post by Griff:
getrdunn (02-14-2021), ICDEDPPL (02-14-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.