Slipping head bolts... better solution?

Notices

Slipping head bolts... better solution?

Old 03-19-2021, 05:00 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by zfrilly
what kinda torque wrench you using? Clicker, digital, beam scale?
Canadian. Tighten until bolt breaks, then back off a touch.
The following 4 users liked this post by SB:
Gimme Fuel (03-22-2021), resurrected (03-22-2021), tommymonza (06-12-2021), TomZ (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
I think the use of studs may be more about not stripping out your block, and the ease of teardown/reassembly, not so much the power level. I could be wrong.
right on all points .. better clamping force is never a bad thing. I throw studs on everything , The price to safety ratio is very good.
Plus what is your time and frustration worth?
I would have shipped those arp bolts back to them with a harshly worded letter a week ago.

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 03-19-2021 at 05:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
abones (03-19-2021), TomZ (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
right on all points .. better clamping force is never a bad thing. I throw studs on everything , The price to safety ratio is very good.
Plus what is your time and frustration worth?
I would have shipped those arp bolts back to them with a harshly worded letter a week ago.
I think I'm ready.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:59 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

According to that article didn’t it say happens to studs too ? “Because of the smoother head hole spot facing ?”
Old 03-19-2021, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

what kinda torque wrench you using? Clicker, digital, beam scale?
I have a couple of clickers and a dial. The clicker I like using is about thirty years old. I have them calibrated every couple of years.

You say you had them torqued to 65 and you only want 70. Are you hoping the bolt stops spinning at 70? You can easily apply more than 70 to them. The point is you need to stop at 70. If your digital vibrates. Stop. When the clicker clicks once. Stop. When you see 70 on your scale stop. The bolt will not stop. It will stretch till it pulls threads or breaks. Three steps, with lube, stop at your desired final torgue. Run that ***** hard.
I think you're missing the point or I'm not describing it properly. It may be helpful to read the Engine Labs link because I think it describe the situation really well.

The problem is that I come up on, let's say for practical purposes, 60. It clicks at 60. I think crank the wrench up to 70. I apply the torque needed to get to 70 and it loses it's torque. Meaning, you're pulling on it and then all of a sudden it becomes easy to pull and does not increase in torqued value. Does that make sense? If you real the article at the link, it will explain the torque and friction relationship and how the washer can act like a bearing when it no longer bites the surface of the cylinder head.

When the washer spins, I can get my 11 year old daughter to turn the wrench. The friction is gone.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SB
According to that article didn’t it say happens to studs too ? “Because of the smoother head hole spot facing ?”
I think you're right.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

If your torquing bolts and they start to turn easier they are stretching. You need to replace them. OR you have bad threads in the block. Bolts can stretch and not look like it. You have to look closely at them. You'll see narrowing of the root diameter in the threads.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
make sure you thread seal the through holes
502 block,,all holes are blind,gen6 454's were open
Old 03-19-2021, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The washer is not supposed to move, right? I watched the washer turn. When it turns with the bolt, it acts as a bearing and friction is vastly reduced. I've pulled the bolts and they're not showing any signs of stretch. The one that broke was exactly as you described: thinned and then cracked.

Replacing the entire set did exactly the same thing. It made it to I think 40 then slipped, then grabbed, and I was able to continue. That was a on a couple of bolts but in the end cooperated. I've had the bolts out of the second engine twice with the problem popping up randomly as described above.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Great article, SB and I definitely learned something today. To quote from the article: "ARP showed us that Chrysler is now integrating small pawls or teeth into the outside edge of the head bolt washer where it contacts the cylinder head. These teeth will grip the head and prevent the washer from spinning as the head bolt is tightened, preserving the proper torque."

Maybe the solution could be to use a hammer and punch to create a small knurl effect on the bottom of the washer which will easily bite into an aluminum head?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.