Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Calling the boat carb masters, lots of fuel still lean. >

Calling the boat carb masters, lots of fuel still lean.

Notices

Calling the boat carb masters, lots of fuel still lean.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Okay, that cam is not big. It has been used a bunch in mild 350 marine engines. The 218/224 112 even more. And several with the 224/230 112LSA.

Stock exhaust fine with with your cam

It should use very near box stock jetting from any 650 built correctly from the manufacturer.
That is why I am asking cam is just healthy not big really should be just right for what I am doing makes big torque and decent hp right to where I run to 5200 looking at dyno sheets from a motor just like mine.

Thats why I am more looking at the carb because it dosent want to dump the fuel in. When it should be pig 🐖 rich with the jets I got in it.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fbc25el View Post
It sounds like you need the boosters to come in quicker. I would go with 2 emulsion @1 & 3 at .028 and drop the HSAB to .069.
about like a stock 650 dp. I haven't checked it to see what rpm the boosters start coming in at now.....I will when I fire it back up.

Think I really got a feed problem now that I wrote it all out and read back through the yours and my posts. Fuel system is making psi but not making volume. Had that happen with the turbo car. More toys on the way........I will keep you guys posted
Old 06-24-2021, 02:58 AM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

You've got a mismash of carb components. A body from this, metering blocks from some where else, etc. Without a wet flow bench it's going to be a guessing game to get it right.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty275 View Post
You've got a mismash of carb components. A body from this, metering blocks from some where else, etc. Without a wet flow bench it's going to be a guessing game to get it right.
It started life as a out of the box double pumper....still has the float bowls on it. It just became this and with that said the down leg boosters are more sensitive then the stock straight legs. Thing should be dumping fuel in with the jets I got in it no matter what blocks are on it or if the bleeds aren't exactly perfect or if the emulsion curve isn't dead on (which they are not far off from any 650 out of the box).....and its not. Two things left for boosters that don't respond to big jets, not enough signal, or not enough fuel in the bowls. I know its not to big for it. Got new filter, return regulator, line, bigger pump, and return bung for the tank on the way.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Forgot to ask what size needle & seat ?
Old 06-24-2021, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fbc25el View Post
Forgot to ask what size needle & seat ?
.110s
Old 06-24-2021, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you just try a known good stock carb? That engine shouldnt need anything special carb wise. Also 36 degrees is too much, should back it down to 30 to 32 with vortec heads. I think you would be closer to 350ish horse with that cam and setup.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Maine:
SB (06-24-2021), ThisIsLivin (06-28-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 07:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Maine View Post
Can you just try a known good stock carb? That engine shouldnt need anything special carb wise. Also 36 degrees is too much, should back it down to 30 to 32 with vortec heads. I think you would be closer to 350ish horse with that cam and setup.
I can, have a couple diffrent flavors I can try. I am going to upgrade the supply system anyway. I am going to have to check but I think I might have forgot to take the siphon valve off the tank too I will find out Tuesday. I almost burnt up the xp on my hydro stream because of one of those damn things. 6an is about right for what I am doing without a check ball choking it down.
I have not seen signs of it pinging or heard it even as lean as it is but I can back the timing off a few degrees if we really think it will run better.
The hp numbers are negotiable as I am not going to take it out just to prove the numbers but we built it with the same setup as one my friends did have on the dyno it made 418. I guess if I did take it out and put it dyno I could find my carb problem....lol
Old 06-24-2021, 07:19 PM
Registered

part of the arsenal for the weekend
The following 3 users liked this post by Tfmech:
OLDRAT (06-28-2021), resurrected (06-25-2021), SB (06-24-2021)
Old 06-24-2021, 10:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 1,107 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Tfmech View Post

part of the arsenal for the weekend
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the pics !

Originally Posted by Mr Maine View Post
Correct on all regards. IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (07-08-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.