Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
47 Wellcraft Excalibur finally in the water, a thank you to those who helped! >

47 Wellcraft Excalibur finally in the water, a thank you to those who helped!

Notices

47 Wellcraft Excalibur finally in the water, a thank you to those who helped!

Old 10-10-2021, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
For me with B3 2.0 28 pitch with cup added. (before Bblades worked the props I was having cavitation burns so bad I was loosing chunks of prop)
3900rpm 45-47 mph
5200rpm 55 mph

As far as the current set up, the props were chosen based on experience from Rik and Jim Hering trying to make Excal’burs and 400SS run with the Arneson. I’ve used the same formulas you’ve used on this boat and others and they are pretty close when equipped with alphas and bravos.
I’m going to reserve judgment until I have current props scanned and reworked.
Ive seen amazing results from proper prop tuning, amazing as in “this is like a different boat” results
Wow! I ahve not had this issue luckily, but Ive been really very cautious with the B3s that I put back on.

Let us all know when your prop magic happens. It does seem to be mostly art, and only a little science!

thanks,
-j
Old 03-10-2023, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
I don't believe you'll ever be able to plane the boat with Bravo 1's. Your going to need the dual prop B3's.
As a late follow up, B1s did not work well, would not get this beast on plane ..... onto Surface drives.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:42 AM
Registered

Default Wellcraft 47 Excal with Surface Drives!!!!!

Originally Posted by cougarman
Start Posting Photo's of your build
Thanks for sharing too
So with Covid, supply chains issues, a few budget issues, bubba rigger issues(and lots of lost cash), but mostly, just finding a really good rigger that will do it right, this project is back on track and getting close. To recap: Put 572 BBC with 668 HP 713 tq each, I tried to replace the B3s with B1s. Nogo, Put the B3s back on and the boat ran well, but I was skeptical any bravo would last very long. So I spent way to much money so far, therefore why not a bit more? Surface drives are being installed. Bob Serbero at Plano Marine Lewisville TX has been great. In fact, everyone there including the owners have been absolutely awesome. Such a very welcome change to have professionals with integrity! I cant say enough good things about them. Thanks to Sonic30ss and sutphen30 for their input and guidance and all the feedback from OSO community!

Getting really excited,
-jeff

I have list here the latest status with picture. I welcome any feedback you may have!

A wider view of Bobs great work!

Bottom Paint completed! Nearing launch date

Seems the chair is a required installation tool (sutphen30)

Drives on, tabs installed.

Transom work: view of Bobs work

Transom rework. More of Bobs great work

Getting closer! still no engines. But soon!

sutphen30 had a chair in his install....must be a key tool for the installation process!

572 Engines and transmission; prepping for Surface drives
The following 2 users liked this post by Fasterboatman:
RSCHAP1 (03-10-2023), SB (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Your going to have a problem using the Transom bracket as a rear motor mount. You need to put an offshore mounting plate on the rear and make brackets to mount in the boat. You need to get the U joint straight. The transom angle in this boat wont allow you to do that. Go back and look at the thread from Boatfreaks . There are photos of how I did this. For the front Motor mounts you can still use the pedestal style motor mounts. I took a bar stock piece of aluminum 1 X 3wide X10long I bolted that to the existing mount location then tapped it for the new location. You will end up having to move the motors about 5 inches forward.
The following users liked this post:
sutphen 30 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

You will also have to cut and re glass the muffler/tailpipe connection forward
Old 03-10-2023, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 47EXCALIBUR
Your going to have a problem using the Transom bracket as a rear motor mount. You need to put an offshore mounting plate on the rear and make brackets to mount in the boat. You need to get the U joint straight. The transom angle in this boat wont allow you to do that. Go back and look at the thread from Boatfreaks . There are photos of how I did this. For the front Motor mounts you can still use the pedestal style motor mounts. I took a bar stock piece of aluminum 1 X 3wide X10long I bolted that to the existing mount location then tapped it for the new location. You will end up having to move the motors about 5 inches forward.
The rigger seems comfortable thus far, but as we move closer to final engine placement, your input may need to be followed. I believe the rigger will be test fitting engines next week we will know more then. thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-10-2023, 10:50 AM
Registered

yeah that is a distinct possibility! Test fit of the engines is upcoming. thanks!
Old 03-10-2023, 03:05 PM
Registered

My apologies for not putting you in the list of folks to thank for helping me before. I certainly do appreciate yours and everyone's feedback.
The following users liked this post:
47EXCALIBUR (03-11-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

we put the u-joints in the angle they were gonna be mounted in and they bound up.they need to be really straight or you'll be replacing them every season if not sooner.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasterboatman
My apologies for not putting you in the list of folks to thank for helping me before. I certainly do appreciate yours and everyone's feedback.
he sat in a chair and took pics of me working.lol we spent some long cold,dark nights in that hanger.at least you have great lighting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.