Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Hydro 5 Blade (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/374265-hydro-5-blade.html)

RBeyer 12-20-2021 12:09 AM

Hydro 5 Blade

Anyone running one? I am running Bravo 32's now and getting way too much stern lift, I run faster the more weight and the deeper I bury the stern. Currently running Imco SC with -2" lowers. Runs 95 MPH at 5600 17.7% slip. My prop folks are telling me that we could certainly massage my current props but I may want to consider the Hydro 5 blades, that Hydromotive is working hard to get into that space and will do a lot of work with you. I also cavitate getting on plane playing with throttles until it comes over so for the 3 blade folks I don't think I can find a 3 blade that will work.

badluck 12-20-2021 10:58 PM

My experience is that the P5X is somewhat similar to a B1 prop but less slip (on a 75mph Fountain 27).
Guessing that the P5 will provide more stern lift.

RBeyer 12-20-2021 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by badluck (Post 4815731)
My experience is that the P5X is somewhat similar to a B1 prop but less slip (on a 75mph Fountain 27).
Guessing that the P5 will provide more stern lift.

Stern lift is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm needing something to carry the bow more. Thank you !

Griff 12-20-2021 11:12 PM

The increased blade surface area of 5 blades will increase stern lift.

Maybe try 1" drive spacers??

RBeyer 12-21-2021 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4815733)
The increased blade surface area of 5 blades will increase stern lift.

Maybe try 1" drive spacers??

That is an option, also the Quad IV-X was the prop I was told about and I misunderstood when I said 5 blade. My goal is to get it to carry the bow more, I'm obviously getting too much stern lift and the bow is digging. I'm running 95 and it's not that it is uncomfortable I just know it's not 100% correct.

Griff 12-21-2021 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by RBeyer (Post 4815735)
That is an option, also the Quad IV-X was the prop I was told about and I misunderstood when I said 5 blade. My goal is to get it to carry the bow more, I'm obviously getting too much stern lift and the bow is digging. I'm running 95 and it's not that it is uncomfortable I just know it's not 100% correct.

The Hydro Quad IV-X is pretty similar to Bravos. They are more true to actual pitch and you'd want to drop 1" to maintain the same rpm

RBeyer 12-22-2021 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 4815736)
The Hydro Quad IV-X is pretty similar to Bravos. They are more true to actual pitch and you'd want to drop 1" to maintain the same rpm

Do they carry the bow more without as much stern lift?

endeavour32 12-22-2021 07:06 AM

Are you sure your stern lift problem is due to the prop. I have a hard time seeing a Bravo prop is creating too much stern lift. Maybe your drive is too high and drive itself is trying to surf the wake. Also your description says, "the faster I run the deeper I bury the stern". If that is indeed happening, you need stern LIFT.

I think it is best to give up some basic info. What Make, model, length is your boat? Where is your prop shaft in relation to your hull. Are you 2,3,4" below it?

CharlieWhiskey85 12-22-2021 11:22 AM

Have you tried calling Hydromotive? Sounds like they're pretty good to work with. I know on their 4 blades they do a good job on lifting the stern sinus be skeptical about a 5 blade helping you just because of that. Is think you be better off with a different style or reducing blade count if you want the nose down more. Just some things I've read around here is all so take it for what it's worth. But definitely recommend just calling them up and seeing what they say.

RBeyer 12-23-2021 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by CharlieWhiskey85 (Post 4815885)
Have you tried calling Hydromotive? Sounds like they're pretty good to work with. I know on their 4 blades they do a good job on lifting the stern sinus be skeptical about a 5 blade helping you just because of that. Is think you be better off with a different style or reducing blade count if you want the nose down more. Just some things I've read around here is all so take it for what it's worth. But definitely recommend just calling them up and seeing what they say.

What I was saying is it runs faster with more weight because the stern is deeper and is getting more bow lift. At WOT it seems to I would not say bury the bow but definitely dig a bit. I did go to -2" shorties and the boat does like them with this exception. It feels as though if I could get more bow lift it would be ideal. I am within 100 Rpm of what my builder would call ideal.