12 v cooler box VS dc fridge

Notices

12 v cooler box VS dc fridge

Old 01-17-2022, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,179 Likes on 629 Posts
Default 12 v cooler box VS dc fridge

Is it best to build in a dc cooler or fridge. Iíve had fridges in the past but they get destroyed and shif ends up all over the place including fridge parts. Not for a cruiser app rather a Great Lakes wave beater. Mostly just over occasional weekend port hopping and couple night stay overs 8-10 times a season. This is new fabricate install for either one. Have a fridge already but leaning towards the cooler. If so what kind. If I remember right Endeavor32 really likes his cooler for the same reason.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 2,569 Likes on 711 Posts

Hey John I`ve had this on lake Michigan for years , Ive busted stereos, amps and ac leaks due to the pounding but this thing hasnt skipped a beat and you can store more than you would think .Go on a RV site, they have better pricing than your marine store , same product. Very compact to boot

The following 3 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
getrdunn (01-18-2022), IGetWet (01-17-2022), Twin O/B Sonic (01-18-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 491 Likes on 210 Posts

^ That fridge is very similar to the ones that came in the 38 ZRs. Ours is 15yrs old and still works great.
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 879 Likes on 358 Posts

Is this AC or DC?

I havenít researched this in yrs but I used to have cruisers that had AC/DC fridges and would automatically go to DC on the hook (If I didnít stop it) and would wake up to a dead house battery.

In my experience, they were fine for a day at the sand bar but over night they were battery eaters.

No?

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
Hey John I`ve had this on lake Michigan for years , Ive busted stereos, amps and ac leaks due to the pounding but this thing hasnt skipped a beat and you can store more than you would think .Go on a RV site, they have better pricing than your marine store , same product. Very compact to boot

Old 01-18-2022, 07:36 AM
Registered

Mine is 12VDC only. If it were left on all night when not plugged into shore power I could see it draining a battery but the be never tried.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic View Post
Is this AC or DC?

I havenít researched this in yrs but I used to have cruisers that had AC/DC fridges and would automatically go to DC on the hook (If I didnít stop it) and would wake up to a dead house battery.

In my experience, they were fine for a day at the sand bar but over night they were battery eaters.

No?
Overnight would be an issue either way depending on how efficient the devise is. If that was an problem Iíd turn off during the night. As long as your not in and out of it it would stay fairly cold til morning. The older common ac/dc marine/rv fridges werenít that great. Iím pretty sure the one I have is the same brand (Norcold) I had a in a few different boats. Itís in storage. The little locking pin on top would inevitably pop out after about 6 beers.

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-18-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is that a Dometic? Isotherm? Iím in the cabin doing other not so fun work but need to fab one in soon.
Tks

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-18-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 2,569 Likes on 711 Posts

I`m always plugged into shore power but there were a few times it`s been left on all day and night and never killed a battery. 12v. very efficient.

Getherdone , it`s called google (I prefer DUCKDUCKGO) but here I`ll do the research for you:
type in RV drawer fridge, press enter,

boom!:

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/blog/...rawer-fridges/
Twin O/B Sonic (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I`m always plugged into shore power but there were a few times it`s been left on all day and night and never killed a battery. 12v. very efficient.

Getherdone , it`s called google (I prefer DUCKDUCKGO) but here I`ll do the research for you:
type in RV drawer fridge, press enter,

boom!:

https://www.mygenerator.com.au/blog/...rawer-fridges/
No wonder the mates out camping in the outback! 😉
Old 01-18-2022, 11:16 AM
Registered

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=4102792

Here’s what I have just in black. Looks like they have a fancier SS model if you scroll down that’s ac/dc
Twin O/B Sonic (01-18-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.