Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Need help with a 4.3 v-6 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/37475-need-help-4-3-v-6-a.html)

JTB 11-22-2002 02:29 PM

Need help with a 4.3 v-6

Ok, I own 98 Glastron with a 4.3. Aprox 200 hrs. The boat runs perfect on smooth water but as soon as it gets a litte rough the motor cuts out. It sounds as if it is backfireing through the carb. I can be on smooth water running great then turn the wheel back and fourth pretty harshly and that will also cause it to cut out. I have changed plugs, wires, filters and checked the cap. It sounds like there is a short somewhere. Any help on where to start checking would be great. I need to get this prob fixed because my wife has agreed to upgrade to a bigger boat this winter.:D :D :D :D

Wally 11-22-2002 03:10 PM

almost sounds to me liek the floats in the carb are off. Unless im way off and this is an EFI! If you think its electrical try starting the motor up at the dock and going to the back and wiggling the wires around....you may find the sort that way.....it there is any electrical gremlins they seam to be mostly around the plug from the harness to the engine....you may have some corrosion or just a loose plug.. :D

HyperBaja 11-22-2002 03:48 PM

at only 200 hours??
The 4.3 we have in the Baja has around 1300-1400+ hours (1990) Im not sure on how hard the first 7 years were on the engine (known they were over 100hours tho) but i know that these last few years have been driven to death (not dead yet :( I frown because i want it dead so i can put a 350sbin it.)

JTB 11-22-2002 04:07 PM

Wally, it is a two barrel carb. I will hook it to the hose and start wiggling:D :D Hyperbaja, man thats a ton of hours, I new these were good motors!!! Mine really does run good. I have never put a GPS to it but the speedo hits about 58 with one person. It gets pretty wild because it is only a 17.5 ft boat.

Brad Perry 11-22-2002 04:26 PM

HERE'S THE PROBLEM--->>>>"Ok, I own 98 Glastron with a 4.3"

:D :D :p

Brad Perry 11-22-2002 04:26 PM

In a year or so, you just might be saying that to me, so I had to do it first!!

heheheehehe :p

JTB 11-22-2002 04:34 PM

I knew it was just a matter of time before you would show up!:D :D If I cant figure anything out on this then I am going to have to bribe you with a few beers to help me out!!

Brad Perry 11-22-2002 04:35 PM

It will take more than a few beers to get me to pull that motor and burn that boat....hehehehe

JaayTeee 11-22-2002 05:10 PM

don't forget to check wiring up around
the dash, connector plugs, "kill switch".
when this happens, do your gauges
flicker ?, if so, it's definetly electrical,
do like wally said, and start shaking
wires, and see if you can "recreate"
the problem.
hope this helps
jt

let us know what you find :confused:

GO4BROKE 11-22-2002 07:53 PM

Loose wires killing the ignition doesn't usually cause a backfire through the carb. My first place to look would be the float.