Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   torque roll (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/377214-torque-roll.html)

LTZCrew 09-26-2022 09:53 AM

torque roll

Is torque roll effected by prop set up or drive height? or a combo of both?

tommymonza 09-26-2022 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by LTZCrew (Post 4846244)
Is torque roll effected by prop set up or drive height? or a combo of both?

I would think drive depth and pitch would be major contributors .

Back in the early eighties I briefly ran around with a guy who had just taken delivery of the 1st factory Big block Donzi 18 , 370 horse thru a Trs.

You could lay that thing right up on the rub rail from 20 to 40 mph if you mashed the throttle hard enough, same with getting out of it too fast.

LTZCrew 09-26-2022 02:01 PM

thats what im getting, have to give it a &^*& load of trim up for it to break loose and sit flat

articfriends 09-27-2022 04:19 PM

I had a over powered 272 baja, ran a best of 99.5 gps, in my quest for speed I treid various props. At one point I tried a 5 blade maximus prop and boat would roll onto nits side everytime you leaned on throttle, It was 100% undrivable, I feel its prop more than anything, was fine with a 4 bladelabbed, did it a little with a std prop. My friend had one of those narrow 24 foot sunsations, he could only run 3 blades or boat tq rolled rel evil fwiw, Smitty

LTZCrew 09-29-2022 04:31 PM

i think im to heavy for a 3 blade, my slip would be nuts but worth a shot. wonder if a prop with a ton of bow lift would mitigate it by getting the boat out of the water

LakeHuronPower 09-30-2022 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by articfriends (Post 4846409)
I had a over powered 272 baja, ran a best of 99.5 gps, in my quest for speed I treid various props. At one point I tried a 5 blade maximus prop and boat would roll onto nits side everytime you leaned on throttle, It was 100% undrivable, I feel its prop more than anything, was fine with a 4 bladelabbed, did it a little with a std prop. My friend had one of those narrow 24 foot sunsations, he could only run 3 blades or boat tq rolled rel evil fwiw, Smitty

I got one of them narrow 24 sunsations and can confirm a 4 blade makes it roll like hell. But a 3 blade blows out too easy for some reason.

Ultraboy 09-30-2022 03:39 PM

So what is the solution to the torque roll it you have to run a 4 blade prop on a stepped hull single engine boat? Trimming up too high is not a good answer if you have to turn the boat:)

Brad Christy 09-30-2022 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ultraboy (Post 4846849)
So what is the solution to the torque roll it you have to run a 4 blade prop on a stepped hull single engine boat? Trimming up too high is not a good answer if you have to turn the boat:)

Ultraboy,

I have found that a touch of trim tab on the "downhill side" works to settle torque roll and chine walk when I'm leaning on the throttle.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

LTZCrew 10-02-2022 11:00 PM

are your tabs flat or do they follow the hull?

Brad Christy 10-03-2022 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by LTZCrew (Post 4847076)
are your tabs flat or do they follow the hull?

LTZCrew,

Assuming you're asking me....

My tabs are all but level with the bottom of the boat, only slightly elevated, while cruising. When I lean into the throttle, I don't think the tabs are really doing much, and it starts to chine walk above about 72-73MPH. I will tap a couple times on the left tab "bow down" button, just enough for the next indicator light to come on, and the chine walk goes away and the boat runs level, assuming passenger load is pretty evenly distributed. If I don't lift the left tab after coming back down to cruising speed, I notice the boat will lean to the right a bit until I do.

I am running a PQ 280, 496HO, M1 ProCharger, through a stock Bravo1 drive with a stock Bravo28 4B.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991