Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Steering upgrade or not? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/38444-steering-upgrade-not.html)

Powerboatin 12-07-2002 10:04 AM

Steering upgrade or not?

Hi All,

I’m getting ready to install a M3 Procharger and wondering if I will need to upgrade my steering yet? After the install I expect to be running between 75 to low 80s (depending on elevation). Not sure I need to go to full hydraulic steering yet, has anyone used the sidewinder steering stabilizers, what do you think of them?

Powerboatin in Colorado….

DonMan 12-07-2002 11:46 AM

I`m with TOO OLD. I feel that you should upgrade your steering before spending money on power.

Just my .02

kaama82 12-07-2002 11:55 AM

Don't be foolish, spend the money on the steering first, power comes later.

28Eliminator 12-07-2002 12:22 PM

Yes, I agree. If you don't want to spring for full hydraulic you can get the hydraulic tie in system that hooks up to your power steering. I have the WPM system. Not as good as full hydraulic, but you can use all of the stuff to upgrade to full later. It is way better than the stock steering though. You will really notice a big difference in driving also.
Safety,safety,safety Get the steering

maverick1 12-07-2002 06:35 PM

hydraulic

At those speeds you are asking for a disaster with a cable failure?!?!?!?!? Plus, a full hydraulic system like Lathem has a "heavy" feel at low speeds, but when you running WOT - the boat will feel very solid under you ---- AND --- with true hydraulic system ( like lathem) the wheel will NOT EVER MOVE unless you turn the wheel (no more wheel torque to right)!!

Run safe.....

MAV

blown formula 12-07-2002 07:57 PM

Absolutely do the steering!! Without the steering you can kill someone or seriouslye injure someone.
Do yourself a favor and do things in the right order! The 1st thing I did when "planning" to upgrade Too Old's old Sonic..... was buy steering and exhaust, the engines come after!!:) :)

blown formula 12-07-2002 07:57 PM

Absolutely do the steering!! Without the steering you can kill someone or seriouslye injure someone.
Do yourself a favor and do things in the right order! The 1st thing I did when "planning" to upgrade Too Old's old Sonic..... was buy steering and exhaust, the engines come after!!:) :)

dlbCheckmate 12-07-2002 09:44 PM

Dollar for dollar Hydraulic steering is one of the safest additions to make to a high speed boat. I installed it on my 25' Checkmate last year for about $3400.00 (full system), the difference it made "at all speeds" was amazing !!

bajabob38 12-08-2002 09:01 AM

I went with the Imco full hyd, what a difference.

Powerboatin 12-08-2002 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone. I completely agree with the safety factor. I wanted to know when I should look at a steering upgrade (speed-safety wise), to be sure I upgrade the steering at the right time as needed, looks like now.... Any thoughts on the best direction for a single system??