Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Is there a better way? - fuel pump for supercharged engines (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/41696-there-better-way-fuel-pump-supercharged-engines.html)

RumRunner 01-23-2003 11:35 AM

Tomcat:

Running an electric pump at a constant voltage, and using a bypass after your caburetor (or fuel rail) that is boost referenced. Will be the most efficent way of running your system. Since these pumps run off of DC power they are very voltage sensitive, if you get a little more or less resistance in your wirig it will change your pressure. Running a bypass after feeding your carburetor allows the pump to free flow, running very cool, and drawing less amperage. This is also safer since the fuel will take the path of least resistance going into an empty bowl rather than try to return all the way back to the tank.

Doug
Tech @ Barry Grant, Inc.

mcollinstn 01-23-2003 12:49 PM

doug -

what empty bowl are you talking about? if you run the regulator after the carb, it still dumps excess fuel into a return line that has to go back to the tank, right?
please elaborate.

Kanookstr 01-23-2003 04:05 PM

The technoligy has come a long way as well with these elec. fuel pumps. I run the 1000 ser. Aeromotive, and they are rated at full pressure for 5000hrs. I don't think my engine or even boat for that mater will get 5000 hrs worth of use:p

RumRunner 01-23-2003 04:42 PM

Since your bypass would be after the carburetor the float bowls will always have fuel rather than getting bypassed, this will also account for spikes in fuel demand that a voltage regulated system would not.

Doug

Tech @ Barry Grant, Inc.

Hot Boat 01-24-2003 08:42 PM

tomcat what you are looking for is a variable speed constant pressure pump. I deal with these at work so I am familiar with them with pumping water. Grundfos make what they call a SQE pump. it is computer controlled and will deliver (lets say for example , it depends on the pump) 60 psi at 2 gpm and or 60 psi at 8 gpm. a sensor in line will feel a slight pressure loss and tell the pump to accelerate to compensate for the increase in volume. this kind of system will eliminate the need for a large water storage tank but it does require something to hold pressure on the system so the pump has a cushion to push against near the sensor to take some shock out of the system and allow some reserve volume for the sensor to take a split second to do it's job. the tank is no bigger than a foot ball. This is a great system and you will feel no lag or loss in pressure as long as your demand don't exceed the pumps capabilities. the on thing I don't like is that the system is delicate and venerable to power serge's. my opinion is if it can be done with water it can be done with fuel. but I don't think it would be a good of system to put up with the abuse of a Hi performance marine environment.

I hope this helps

Paul