advice needed >

advice needed

Notices

advice needed

Old 02-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Truckin

Default Bam

Thanks for the info...
I would like to write about the new gears, when you have some time give me a call. Always looking for topics.
Dennis Moore
Technical Editor
"Wet Toys" section
Truckin' Magazine
[email protected]
714-712-2117

Old 02-28-2003, 11:16 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc,
How much power do you have?I was thinking that you were going to put 600 horsepower in it.A Bravo that will handle 600 hp will probubly cost more than $2000.00.

Rob
Old 02-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am going to be at 525 hp -- the 2000 bravo i found was on ebay -- i was just using it for a reference -- the transom assembly looks to be about 1500.00

i found trs drive for pretty reasonable price -- i am hemming and hawing over what to do now -- i could buy this TRS drive -- for cheap and run exactly what i have -- or i could take the time now to switch over to a bravo

i guess the other thing is i don't think i would keep this boat long term anyhow -- i'd like to step up once i am finished with this one

decisions -- decisions
Old 02-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Registered

My $0.02.
If your TRS gimbal is good, stick with the TRS. If you have to rebuild the tranny anyway, lose the Merc tranny and get a good rebuilt velvet drive. With 525hp, that combo should last almost forever. Cant say the same about a used bravo with 525hp. And you have to be very careful of used bravo gimbals. The upper swivel pin tends to loosen in the gimbal ring. Price out a new gimbal ring.
It will all bolt up and will only require the engine to be moved forward a few inches.
Gary
Old 02-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Registered

yes my gimble seems good. I guess i should ask how i check to make sure??

as for the tranny i have a later version merc II and my guy at speedmasters says this one has good parts and is factory rated at 450hp -- so as long as i don't slam the throttle for hole shots he thinks it will be fine.

if i switch to a borg or other tranny i would have to move my engine - and i only have 5 inches in front right now -- i heard with a c72 i need almost 12 inches.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Registered

Again, My $0.02,
TRS gimbals are pretty solid. Upper swivel pin seals may start to leak and that's what I would check. If you're gimbal is old, it will have a spline/spline upper swivel pin. These dont like to come apart, so that could be a future problem.
As for the tranny, I have not heard anything good about the Mercs. A rebuilt velvet drive is worth it for reliability and resale. Compare the price of a rebuilt velvet drive to rebuilding the Merc, see if it's worth it. You'll need a bell housing and maybe a drive plate too.
As for the fit. I'm not sure about how far the engine has to be moved. I think the overall length of a velvet drive is about 12", excluding bell housing. So it may be less than that.
Measure the block to the transom plate on yours and a velvet drive setup. Then get a shoe horn.
Gary