advice needed >

advice needed

Notices

advice needed

Old 02-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice needed

i have an older pantera with a TRS drive and merc II tranny.

i just found out cost to rebuild drive and tranny is totaling about 3600.00

I am wondering if I am better off switching to a bravo setup. I know i have to redo the transom.

I can get a bravo transom assembly for a grand or less and a bravo 1 drive in the 2000's

so it would end up costing about the same or might be a little cheaper to switch out.

what do you guy's think?

thanks

Mark
Old 02-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Registered

I have a 24 excalibur with a similar setup and I'm sure I will blow up my drive soon as I am expecting close to 700 horse this year. The same question has crossed my mind and after weighing the advantages of both I will prolly go to the broavo when I gernade the trs.
Martin.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Registered

sounds like it would make things easier in the long run -- i really didn't want to have to close and recut te transom -- but i suppose it can't be that bad??? lol
Old 02-27-2003, 03:45 PM
Registered

that and moving the motor back to eliminate the transmission which I think is going to totally change the ballance of my boat.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Registered

yeah i wonder how that will affect handling?
Old 02-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Registered

prolly help with bow lift, but I don't have a bow lift problem I like the weight distribution the way it is now. it flies flat and handles big water very well. I think your boat is very similar to mine so we'd prolly get similar results.
Martin.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Truckin

Smile I don't think so...

If you look at the lower unit (gearcase) on the TRS it is very similar to the Bravo, I think it is stronger.
The upper gears, in the drive shaft housing, are stronger than a Bravo (Bravos are weak here). I think the bad rap on the TRS has always been with the Merc. transmission. If your TRS has a Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission I think you have a better set up than a Bravo.
Just a Mercruiser Master Technicians opinion.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 02-27-2003, 06:22 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Re: I don't think so...

Originally posted by Truckin
If you look at the lower unit (gearcase) on the TRS it is very similar to the Bravo, I think it is stronger.
The upper gears, in the drive shaft housing, are stronger than a Bravo (Bravos are weak here). I think the bad rap on the TRS has always been with the Merc. transmission. If your TRS has a Borg Warner Velvet Drive Transmission I think you have a better set up than a Bravo.
Just a Mercruiser Master Technicians opinion.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore
And some pretty good advise at that
Old 02-27-2003, 06:45 PM
Registered

I have the Merc II tranny -- to switch to a borg i'd have to move my engine forward -- and still would have to get a new tranny and still have to pay for the drive rebuild.

so dollar per dollar - isn't switching to some new common bravo parts the way to go?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Dennis, I agree the TRS upper is stout. The lower is the problem, specifically the pinion gear. Not good for much more than 550HP or so (assuming you want to really be able to run the boat hard)

Transmissions are no problem if using a Velvet Drive as they can be upgraded to handle much more than the drive. Merctrans is a little weak, but just fine for a small block and nice and compact.

We are working on a new gear set, there are so many of these drives out there that it makes sense. Just taking longer than planned.

Quick Reply: advice needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.