Sidewinder Outdrive Stabilizer??? >

Sidewinder Outdrive Stabilizer???

Notices

Sidewinder Outdrive Stabilizer???

Old 03-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidewinder Outdrive Stabilizer???

I was perusing las year's Eddie Marine catalog and came across an interesting alternative to the hydraulic steering expense, especially for moderate powered single applications.

The literature states:
- Low cost alternative to expensive hydraulic add-on systems.
- Eliminates worn & broken steering, & tie bar joints.
- Reduces blowout hazard
- Controls steering shimmy.
- Improves steering repsonse, while giving you more control.
- Dampens excessive out-drive shock & vibration.
- Ten stage velocity sensing valving system, becomes progressively stiffer with speed.
- Eliminates the danger of the boat turning violently in the event of steering failure.

Single cylinder kit approx. $400.00
Dual cylinder kit approx. $790.00

Does anyone know anything about these and if so, what do you think about it as a mild upgrade?...
Old 03-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waterfoul has one
bought it due to loose/wore bravo gimble bearing and tiller arm. helped him a ton to mask that problem, but he has a newer drive now

probably works good, but seems like a lot of money for
what it is: i.e. a waterproof shock absorber.... but then it goes on a boat so move the decimal point over

I think the "velocity compensating" actually means the velocity of the ram itself. viscous fluids are progressive via just plain physics, acting force through an orifice is a function of the ram velocity squared, but their valves may expand on that.

seemed to do what waterfoul wanted, and may reduce wear over time on your steering sytem.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:59 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Sounds like it might smooth out the handling at the wheel especially i the rough. It also sounds like it adds a little extra security should the drive go at speed. $400 compared to none or $4K+ isn't so bad...Did he mention how it felt or if it helped smooth out the helm?...
Old 03-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Charter Member #971
Charter Member

Hopefully I can give you an answer in the near future, since I have one sitting here waiting to go on. I have heard that those that have got them, really like the difference.

Hawaii no ka 'oi
Old 03-04-2003, 04:41 AM
Registered

I too am interested....I would like something that would keep the outdrive in check in rough water and keep the outdrive from violently turning on its own... I don't need anything for my normal driving to assist me. But if it secures the drive AND gives a little help in rough water it's worth it to me....Seems like someone on the board could make something like this for less than Drew offers "For Under $500.00"

Bad-Habit
Old 03-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Registered

buy a used external steering system if cost is a problem...if you need this band-aid...you need external steering...

buy the way,,, i have installed one and removed one. only to install full hydrulics on a boat.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Audacity the point being I guess, is an alternative to shelling out big dollars (even for used one) for configurations where it's borderline needing anything. If the option was nothing or a little something it sounds like a reasonable option for a minor expense...
Old 03-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Registered

really i don't think it's minor $$...if you need one of these you are running the boat harder than the rigging will allow. it will cost you $$ down the road. anyone that has upgraded to external steering will tell you it totally changed the boat. personally, i would not drill holes in the hull for this band-aid...atually i have one that i'm going to try to install on my truck

and the ones they sell at the auto parts store???...we have two of them mounted to our ob 50hp mod inflatable cat!!...i think they cost 15 bucks.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:35 AM
CJD
Registered

I spoke with Drew about the benefits of these vs. hydraulics last year. After reading the info, I figured for $400 it was worth it. I was in the process of ordering (assuming the $400 price) until I found out you need 2 for $800 (1 on each side of the drive). I have a single 502 MAG/MPI Bravo. In the end, I did not make the order. Wasn't enough $ difference vs. a hydraulic ram off existing pump.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI
Waterfoul only has one.
1/2 the damping as two, but works great for him

Quick Reply: Sidewinder Outdrive Stabilizer???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.