Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   OT: Favorite Tool Manufacturer (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/48628-ot-favorite-tool-manufacturer.html)

Miller 04-27-2003 11:53 AM

OT: Favorite Tool Manufacturer

Who is? Matco, Snap-On, Craftsman or other? I need to replace some tools and I'm not sure where I'll buy them from next.

Roger 1 04-27-2003 11:58 AM

Snap-on!

Playn 04-27-2003 12:09 PM

I've always had Craftsman.

buck183 04-27-2003 12:32 PM

With well over 30k invested in my tools, over half are Snap On. A good portion are Mac. I still have quite a bit of Craftsman left in the box too. All my Craftsman ratchets are nothing but pry bars or paper weights. The quality difference between a high end ratchet like Snap On/Mac and Craftsman is night and day. All of my Craftsman wrenches and sockets seem to be fine in comparrison to the other brands.

I won't be spending a whole lot of money on Craftsman in the future. When you make a living using these tools it's easy to tell the difference.

Buck

THRILLSEEKER 04-27-2003 12:37 PM

They all make fine tools that are guaranteed(sp) for life.
The problem is: unless you are in a business where a Mac, Snap-On, Cornwell...ect truck visits you on a regular basis, or unless you live near a distributor it can be diffucult for the average Joe to get a broken tool replaced. As for Craftsman you can just drive to Sears to have it replaced;)

Also Craftsman tools are perfecty fine for someone who does not use or abuse them a lot. If you use your handtools on a daily basis and they take a lot of abuse and strain names like Snap-On and Mac are worth paying the extra bucks for.

Miller 04-27-2003 01:00 PM

Over 24 views and only 6 votes? What's up with that? I figured this topic would definetly merit more responses.

Anywayl, thanks for responses so far. I appreciate it. I was leaning toward Craftsmen to save some money and expand the chest, but I'll re-evaluate and look at the better ones.

Waterfoul 04-27-2003 01:20 PM

Most of my tools are Craftsman. I like being able to go to any Sears store to get one replaced if it ever has an issue. Plus they are a bit cheaper than Snap-on, Matco, Mac, etc... I don't abuse my tools everyday, so the Craftsman work just fine for me. I do know a Mac tools salesman quite well, MacDad260 on this board drives a Mac Tools truck for a living, and does quite well doing it. If I could afford his tools, I'd have them. But I do just fine with what I have. Besides, my motor is at his shop, so I get to use his tools anyway!!!!

bajadude 04-27-2003 01:36 PM

I guess I'm the only Matco guy. I have 50/50 Matco and Snap-on. IMHO, Matco is just as good, and usually 25% cheaper.

convincor 04-27-2003 01:55 PM

Craftsman.
What do you do when you break a snap-on or Mac tool on saturday afternoon.
Sears is open 7 day's..
And half the price.

bajadude 04-27-2003 02:05 PM

What do you do when you break a snap-on or Mac tool on saturday afternoon.
Point well taken. In over 35 years, I've I think I can count on two hands, the number of tools that have actually broken (lost is another thing :D ). If I broke a tool and needed a replacement immediately, chances are I either have a duplicate or someting similar. If not, I probably buy a Craftsman and wait for the truck to come by.

If you buy good stuff, take care of it, and use it properly, I don't think its an issue.