Notices

Drive oil leak inside bilge

Old 04-27-2003, 07:23 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Drive oil leak inside bilge

My port engine or should I say, My port drive oil is leaking in my engine compartment.

Engine 502 MAG MPI/ Bravo Drive 2000

Today I noticed that Drive oil was leaking at the back of the engine where the hose from the drive oil tank seems to go into the back side of the drive (pardon my terms I am extremely green as mechanical terms go) on the picture attached it would be around fitting number #1. The oil falls in on the floor of the bilge close to the rear transom and is pretty clear no water contamination or anything seems apparent. The leak is significant, emptied the tank during our ride today.
I was wondering if this is an occurrence someone has ran into? I intend to check the hose and connection brackets for leaks or is there an item susceptible to failure there that someone is familiar with?

(Thanks TurboJack!)
Attached Thumbnails Drive oil leak inside bilge-oil-res.jpg  

Last edited by GLH; 04-28-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2003, 07:45 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I saw this on another thread while doing a search let me know if anyone "in the know" thinks this might be my problem?

Originally posted by Cord
For my response, I was thinking of my power steering pump. When it would burp, it would just over flow. I'm thinking the same thing would be true for the reservior. The fluid is so thick, that I doubt if it could splash. There are also a couple of other things that you could check. The is a clip on connection where the hose attaches to the transom assembly. Double check to make sure that the connection is on. A gentle tug will confirm this. Also check to see that the hose connection to the clip is tight. At the bottom of the reservior is a fitting. This fitting is retained by a nut that is inside the reservior. Mine was leaking and it was solved by using a needle nose pliers to tighten the nut.
and

Originally posted by SteveDavid

Cord's suggestions are right on target as well. I haven't met him but he's obviously been there done that and a good source of info.

The fitting in the inner transom plate is a plastic snap on type. It has a small o ring and the whole piece is pretty fragile. If you were working in that area or somehow standing in that area you might have hit that fitting and cracked it.

Let us know what you find out.

Steve
Thanks
Old 04-27-2003, 07:46 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Advance payment for your suggestions
Attached Thumbnails Drive oil leak inside bilge-1bikinibabes011.jpg  
Old 04-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaking pinion shaft seal.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ummmm if she is up there waiting for me then I will be up there..... lets say tomarrow

Jon
Old 04-28-2003, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it is # 24? I think that is the part that is attached to the bottle. # 1 is the part that goes thru the bulkhead. Part #1 has broken on me but it did it on the outside.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:30 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Turbo Jack now that you mention it you are right the leak is in the area of part # 1 thru 5, I guess I did not figure the graphic right. Thank god I had a disclaimer about my mechanical ineptitudes.

Then how would be the best access to that area? Takeout the drive? or wiggle my fat a$$ down there and start throwing tools as mentioned in another thread?

Last edited by GLH; 04-28-2003 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A leaking pinion shaft seal will fill up the bellows with drive oil. I have gone through two sets of seals in the past year and the symptoms were the same. I initially thought that the bottle was leaking but it turned out to be the seals. Apparently this is common on Bravo XR's due to the small size of the actual seal material and some issue with them creeping out of place. Tres informed me a few weeks ago Merc has addressed this issue with a new seal keeper of some sort. Looks like I will be changing them again! The cost is about $100 in pars and about $400 in labor. Thats my guess.......
Old 04-28-2003, 08:41 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks D for the $ estimate i resigned to have the Mech look at it I am to busy this week. He told me that the plastic fittings sometimes break on those set up as metioned by Turbo Jack hopefully it's that if not I guess it might be your item.

How many hours when the seal went and is it in salt or fresh water?
Old 04-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bottle has a crack in it

Quick Reply: Drive oil leak inside bilge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.