Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Where in the fuel system should the fuel cooler be on a Procharged motor? >

Where in the fuel system should the fuel cooler be on a Procharged motor?

Notices

Where in the fuel system should the fuel cooler be on a Procharged motor?

Old 06-18-2003, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Where in the fuel system should the fuel cooler be on a Procharged motor?

Last time out my fuel cooler dislodged and was hanging in the bildge. I pulled it out to resecure it and I found out how it was plumbed. Now I have a question.

This is the set up. Fuel travels like this: Fuel tank > fuel filter/separater > fuel pump > regulator. From the regulator 2 lines run directly to the carb, another line goes into the fuel cooler, the fuel cooler runs back into the tank. Is this right? I would think the fuel cooler would run directly to the carb. It doesn't seem right to try and cool 75 gals. of gas before going to the carb.

Where should the cooler be plumbed in the fuel system?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the Gas goes thru the fuel pump it is heated up. The regulator is bypassing fuel that is not needed by the engine. The excess fuel goes thru the cooler (cools it back down after it was heated up by the fuel pump) & is then sent back to the tank. If the cooler was not there the fuel pump would keep heating the fuel & the total temp of the fuel would keep increasing, thus increasing the chance for vapor lock.

On a different note I am assuming you have a Areomotive fuel pump. Areomotive does not recommend the fuel fillter/seperator before the pump. They are saying they want a low restriction 100 micro filter before pump & the one you now have after the pump. Here is thread that goes into the problem.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=areomotive
Old 06-18-2003, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks TurboJack