Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Hull limitation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/52668-hull-limitation.html)

richard 06-18-2003 01:32 PM

Hull limitation

I have a scarab 1979 30ft, and wondered what are the hull limitations? How much power can you put through it.

Thanks

Ric

Scott72 06-18-2003 02:26 PM

My friend had an 1981 30' Scarab and he was running two 461's with Weiland Blowers. Probably around 600 HP a piece. His biggest limitation wasn't the hull, but the Merc Trannies (with TRS) and the lack of external steering (which it really needed).

richard 06-18-2003 02:55 PM

just purchased external steering, and rebuilding some 350 twin turbo,s , and dont know how far I can wind the boost up. Gonna run 10 psi at first, and see.

X-Rated30 06-18-2003 06:16 PM

Re: Hull limitation

Originally posted by richard
I have a scarab 1979 30ft, and wondered what are the hull limitations? How much power can you put through it.

Thanks

Ric

Your hull limitations are:

Any building you put it in must be at least 8 feet wide and 30 feet long.:D

As far as power, do you know anyone that has ever posted on this board something like "My engines are too powerful. Please help!" or maybe "Too many HP! Need Advice!!!" ?:D

I wouldn't worry about overpowering the hull. I have heard of some guys over in Dallas putting 600+ engines in them. As said earlier, I would worry about how you are going to connect the power to the water. External steering is DEFINITELY a good idea, but you might also want to look at tabs. If you overpower this boat with smallblocks, I wanna see pics.

HAVE FUN!!!

jpclear 06-19-2003 04:33 PM

Waddayamean, "TOO MUCH POWER"? Ain't no such thing as "TOO MUCH POWER"!! --- Jer

Tantrum 06-19-2003 04:42 PM

Hmmm.
Im all for big power but I dont think its an unreasonable question.
There have been a few people, that we should all know, with in the last year or so that have had catostrofic failures from TOO MUCH POWER. With a 25 year old boat you have to consider what type of materials they were using at the time it was biult and how those meterials held up over the years.
I cant believe I just said that.................

richard 06-19-2003 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Scott72
My friend had an 1981 30' Scarab and he was running two 461's with Weiland Blowers. Probably around 600 HP a piece. His biggest limitation wasn't the hull, but the Merc Trannies (with TRS) and the lack of external steering (which it really needed).

What sort of speed did he get out of it and on what prop. What was the week point in the trannies and trs, as thats what Im running. I was personally after finding out if its possible to get uprated performance friction plates for the transmission, any ideas where to look?

Tantrum 06-19-2003 04:47 PM

What kind of power are you talking about out of the 350 turbo's.
Where are you running it?
What speed is you goal?

richard 06-19-2003 05:15 PM

10 - 15 psi, intercooled with water injection, it will be at least 450 min at 10psi and 550 min at 15psi