TRS - Drive oil leaking around inner gimbal housing >

TRS - Drive oil leaking around inner gimbal housing

Notices

TRS - Drive oil leaking around inner gimbal housing

Old 07-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRS - Drive oil leaking around inner gimbal housing

I've got a pair of TRS drives making a mess of my bilge. The leak trickles down the transom under the dip stick/reserviour area. I just had the the drives off this winter and replaced both of the pass-thru seals.

If these were dinged putting the drives back on, where will they leak? No evidence of water in drive when refilling from lower port.

Here's a picture.

Thanks,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails TRS - Drive oil leaking around inner gimbal housing-dscf0089.jpg  
Old 07-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey- How is Gibraltar doing these days? I used to live there about 20 years ago. Corner W. Jeff & Gib Road.
I normally put some red silicone around where the seal is (on drive gasket), and I would make sure the hose is not leaking between reservoir and fitting to gimbal. It is possible to overfill and leak from the vent. There is also a chance you may need to replace the reservoir gasket. Last but not impossible, hope there is no corrosion on reservoir between inner plate and transom.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks David,

I keep hearing from local mechanics that the oil seal around the "connector nipple" is very delicate, and just touching one with the nipple during drive instalation can cause this leak. I was very careful and have changed them twice to try to stop this leak.

I will also try some gasket sealer on the drive gasket around this opening to see if that helps and change the oil seal AGAIN. I don't have any apparent corrosion problems with the inner gimbal housings, and I'll live with the mess until this winter if I need to pull the gimbal housings to check seals there.

I also inspected the hose for tightness and damage last time the engines were out - this spring.

Gib is growing, but still maintains a small town charm. People are going crazy with the money they're spending on homes here - buying two adjacent homes, then whacking them both and building 4-5000 sq ft homes with nice frontage. We're on the first island in from Horse. (the main island, same one Humbug Marina in on).

Thanks for the tips.

Brian