Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Painted trailer into salt? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/56505-painted-trailer-into-salt.html)

Mark D 08-08-2003 08:56 PM

Painted trailer into salt?

Any of you guys dipping your painted trailers into salt water?
I am close to buying a 292 Formula w/ a painted white VIP trailer.
My worry is the salt & rust, I know it will happen. My current & last 4 boats have all had galvenized trailers.

Wondering what you guys are running for the salt dips at the ramps, unfortunately this boat is already dealer stocked on a painted trailer.

Audiofn 08-08-2003 09:33 PM

You just have to wash it REAL well each time. It will not last for ever but it will last for a while.

jpclear 08-08-2003 10:17 PM

Being a freshwater guy for about 35 yrs. before I started trailing to Fla., I never thought that I would have a problem with my painted, box frame trailer as long as I washed everything down throughly after each dunking. It always looked just like new from the outside. Imagine my surprise when the whole thing disintegrated at 70+ mph on I-75 trying to go around Cincy at rush hour. This was not one of my better days. (actually, it turned into one of my worst weeks) DO NOT DUNK A PAINTED BOX FRAME TRAILER INTO SALTWATER EVEN ONE TIME!! If you have; sell it now to someone you will never see again and buy galvanized. Channel frame trailers can be both throughly painted and rinsed so the problem is almost completely controllable by proper maintenance. --- Jer

cuda 08-08-2003 11:30 PM

Sell it now, or get credit for it from the dealer and go buy an aluminum. Steel trailers will not last in a salt environment. Galvanized will hold up somewhat longer, but not very long. I have the same aluminum trailer under my fish boat that I bought it on in 1988. I replaced the springs and axle once.

DanB 08-09-2003 07:05 AM

If your stuck with the trailer remember to wash it down after you launch and again after your finished. Sitting all day in the sun with salt on it is the worst thing for it, also if it has drum brakes get the flush kit and do that every time it goes in the water. Grease bearings often and inspect brakes every month. Alot more maint then a galv or alum one but it should last a few years if its a channel frame, depending on how often you dunk it. Box frame.....dump it now.

H2Xmark 08-09-2003 09:08 AM

the thing about steel trailers[box frame] is they will rust from the inside out if used in salt water, so you do not know how long they will last, if the trailer is new you could use it for a few years then get aluminum trailer,

Mark D 08-09-2003 04:53 PM

Thanks for the insight guys.
Not going to take that painted trailer home, we are looking at aluminum trailers now to fit under it.
Thank you.

cuda 08-09-2003 06:04 PM

Good choice!