Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   power steering cooler? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/57112-power-steering-cooler.html)

puder 08-16-2003 10:03 AM

power steering cooler?

is a power steering cooler really required?

i installer a larger oil cooler and planned on using the old oil/PS cooler just for PS BUT am hevign ahell of time getting it hooked up under my negin (arms arn't long enough) for teh first basuic testing runs o eth baot i was going to leave it off and plumb the lines directly BUT its a PS cooller really 100% required?

birdog 08-16-2003 10:09 AM

I would say yes Puder.......Thats a tiny resovoir in an enclosed space....I bet it foams without it !

Mbam 08-16-2003 10:45 AM

Absolutely necessary, you will cook the PS without it. The 6 p's (from Jim Gaffrig may he rest in peace) must be applied when rigging a boat.

formula31 08-16-2003 12:01 PM

Puder, I have a small cooler I got from Kaama that I dont need anymore (since the motor is toast) and I will be redoing the oil system this winter again. It fits in front of the motor in the line going up to the thermostat housing. Let me know if you want it. Just shipping and you owe Kaama a favor.

DanB 08-16-2003 01:54 PM

Merc makes a small seperate PS cooler that bolts to the on top at the back of the motor..I'm not sure of the application but I think its for the small block. I have one on mine with an IMCO motor oil cooler and it works fine...plus it puts it near the steering. They also have a pre formed hose that goes from the SW pump right up to it. Makes for a nice clean install.
Dan

Scott B 08-16-2003 02:16 PM

I have one of the small Merc coolers listed in parts for sale. NIB, 80 bucks..

Scott B

Properly cooled :)

puder 08-16-2003 05:57 PM

i have a cooler (the merc PS/oil) i'm just lazy and was tired of sticking my arms under my engine and screwwing around with the rubber h2o hoses. But if i need it I need it. :(

puder 08-16-2003 05:57 PM

formula 31 thanks for the offer!

MACDAD260 08-16-2003 06:11 PM

I upgraded the oil cooler when I swapped my 502 for the stock 330. I ditched the stock cooler and went with two, a 5" x2" for the PS and a 12" X 2" for the engine. All I had to do to install the new PS cooler was cut the hose running down from the thermostat housing to the oil cooler. I had to fabricate a bracket to mount it to the front of the block. The original pressure line fit the new setup. I had to get a longer return line but, that is just 3/8" fuel line. It looks like it is factory original and it works fine. I think I paid about $60 from CP Performance. If you can get the one that KAAMA has for next to free than you should be all set.

formula31 08-16-2003 09:55 PM

no problemo, let me know if you need it.