Electric fuel pumps - HP500 carb motors >

Electric fuel pumps - HP500 carb motors

Notices

Electric fuel pumps - HP500 carb motors

Old 09-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric fuel pumps - HP500 carb motors

My HP500 carb motors have been retrofitted with Holley Blue fuel pumps and regulators. I've had problems with getting them to live very long, two have died in two years.

I have an oil pressure sensor that kills power to the fuel system in the event of loss of oil pressure, and I've had the opportunity to use this feature on one occasion, so I'd prefer to stay with an electric setup for engine safety.

My engines burn about 42gph at WOT, and I run fuel pressure regulated to 7.5 psi. I'm looking for recommendations on other brands of fuel pump/regulator systems. Aeromotive and BG Fuel Systems have attractive pieces.

Anyone have experience with these or other electric fuel systems?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 09-14-2003, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, why not just keep things simple and run the stock mechanical pump set up that runs off of the seawaterpump?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Registered

Last year, while cranking around Lake Cumberland, I had an oil filter spin loose on me. It sure made a mess of the engine compartment, but my oil pressure switch shut down the motor before any damage was done.

After cleaning up the mess and filling up the motor with oil, I was back to enjoying my vacation with my wife the same day.

Had I not had the pressure switch, my indication that I lost oil pressure would have been when the rods started slapping around inside my crankcase. Probably wouldn't have gone out boating later that day...

Brian
Old 09-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Registered

Just a suggestion from someone whose been there... I always take a sharpie and mark "top" on my oil filters now, and regularly look to see if top is still on top.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Registered

i havent had much luck with the Hollys either. go for the Mallory 140. of even the 110. I have both in my boat right now. and either work great with my 540
Old 09-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Registered

Thanks Bruce.

The 110 glossies say the pump is internally regulated at 7psi with "some" adjustment. The 140 sells at most shops as a package with 2- or 3-port regulators. Do you use an external regulator with your 110's?

Another question on regulators: Mallory's 4309 3-port reg (sold with the 140) has a return-to-tank port where excess pressure is bled off. My Holly Blue setup also has a return port on the pump itself that has a 3/16" plastic hose that plugs into a hose barb on my flame arrestor. Are these the same things? Would it be a reasonable thing to route the return-to-tank port on the Mallory pressure regulator back into the flame arrestor? With my Holley setup, I have NEVER seen any fuel being rerouted back thru this line.

I'm just concerned about dumping a bunch of excess fuel into my carb when
maybe it should really be going back to the tank. How much excess are we talking here?

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 09-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Registered

Yes, the 110 is internally regulated at 7psi and by the time it gets through the filter and lines, it drops to around 6 at the fuel rail. Its my back up to the 140. The 140 uses an external regulator and mine is set at 7.5 at idle. It usually holds at 6.5 to 7 at WOT. I dont return it to the tank at all. Maybe I should. But its been working fine for me so far.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian, I'd keep it simple with an Holley HP mechanical fuel pump, Less money and less parts to fail. You can still use your low oil psi cut off switch and wire it into the ignition system.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Registered

Hi Lee,

I like the idea of cutting off the ignition under low oil pressure conditions, but for other reasons. Removing the fuel supply from a running engine could lean things out to the point of detonation.

I do prefer an electric fuel system, and with regulation, there's always a stable supply. And what the hell, it's just money. ;^)

Congrats again on this years' points title in GLSCS P4 Class. You guys were the model of consistency, and earned a well-deserved top spot.

See you guys next year!

Brian
Old 09-14-2003, 03:59 PM
Registered

Thanks Bruce, I think I'll be plumbing up a set of Mallory 140's with the 4309 regulators. The Holleys just don't have the longevity anymore these days.

Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 09-14-2003 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric fuel pumps - HP500 carb motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.