Rusty motor insides (truck)

Notices

Rusty motor insides (truck)

Old 01-15-2002, 07:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post Rusty motor insides (truck)

Changed oil this weekend and noticed that the valve springs, retainers, pushrods, everything under the valve cover was all the same, a brown rust color. (Pulled a valve cover to check out) I could wip across these parts and it leaves a rust stain on a rag. This is in my '94 Chevy 4x4, 350, 50,000 miles, oil changed every 3000 miles, daily driver and no water loss. Drive to and from work is long enough to get to temp, so that should burn off any moisture. Runs great otherwise. What gives? Thanks
Old 01-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,887 Likes on 949 Posts
Probably just from condensation that occurred after you shut the engine off. Colder weather will also create more condensation. Kinda like all the steam on the window in a bathroom after someone takes a shower.
Old 01-15-2002, 08:56 PM
mkforsberg

Dear US 1 FOUNTAIN,

This subject interests me. I have a 1984 chev 4x4 with about 214,000 miles on the engine. It runs fine. My major complaint is that the rear main oil seal is leaking. the truck need a quart about every 1500 miles. I feel the truck and engine have served me well.

This truck has never gotten the best in care. I do run a synetic oil but I change it once a year.

My question is moisture the main thing that causes oil to break down? Does moisture caues the oil to break down and cause engines to wear out? Does the oxidation cause the acids to form in oil that creates sludge. Is this what causes the oil to change color or is the blow by of gasses that causes oil to wear out?

I live in the desert and the dry air must be the reason why this engine has lasted so long. I changed the valve cover gaskets about 6 years ago and everything was clean no rust no sludge.

I wish I had the same luck with my boat motors. Although with boat motors it has been cooling problems not lubrication problems and the boat motor runs alot harder.

Old 01-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Fly fast if you go to a regular oil from synthetics you may not use so much
Old 01-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Didn't think of the time after shut off and winter temps. Thanks Griff.

Flyfast, I tend to believe dirty oil is from blowby, more than any other thing. Just my thinking, nothing to back it up.
I take it yours mainly is leaking that qt. of oil. What year did they go to the 1 piece rear seal? At least the 2 peice seal can be replaced without R&R the tranny.