Electrical question.

Notices

Electrical question.

Old 01-19-2002, 06:55 AM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Electrical question.

I am installing two new items this weekend, a TV/VCR mini and my new GPS chartplotter.
My friend has his set up like this, dual batteries, ran a new cig lighter socket to cuddy off of port battery. Runs boat battery switch on both when running, then they beach, switches battery switch to # 2 and his son watches TV, time to go, back to both or #1, starts and on down the water.

I plan to rig the same, BUT I have read not to run the switch on BOTH!!!! If it is OK, should I run the GPS hot to battery #1 and just turn it off on arrival?

I have a hookup at Interstate battery (I will get new batteries every year), I considered one of their top of the line deep cells and mounting it as a third, and just keep it charged up at home and leave for a day on a full charge and let the TV draw off of it!

Please give me your thoughts and opinion on the BOTH matter...

If your really bored, click to OSO and read about Nancy's ticket she just got! LOL http://207.55.218.179/cgidir/ubbcgi/...&f=47&t=005756

Thanks guys. Bryan

--------------------
Old 01-19-2002, 09:26 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bryan,
Rig the GPS into the helm. I think you have a breaker panel under the wheel. You should be able to tie into that. The GPS should hardly draw anything. You breakers are labeled, go read them and let me know what they are. You might have one that is unused.

The TV/VCR, need more info. What size screen? Is it a tube or an LCD? Where do you want to mount it?

I am not a fan of tying into the battery direct. I like to tie into the boat circuts after the battery switch, and preferably into an empty breaker, or add an extra breaker off the main power feed that feeds the existing breaker panel. I've seen too many electrical fires from wires not tied into systems properly.

Better yet!
Pull that boat into the garage today, I'll stop by and wire it for you.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: BillR ]

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-19-2002, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with BillR, DO NOT wire direct to the battery, Also, you may want to look into a battery buddy, which will disconnect the battery from the circuit, when the voltage drops below a certain level like maybe 10 volts if you want to run the TV while not running. The GPS will not drain your starting battery enough to make a difference, unless it's left on for days at a time. I have mine wired to a switch with a breaker, works great. By the way what's your friend's son doing watching TV while the boat is beached ?
Paul
Old 01-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What scares me is the cig lighter socket thing. Wiring for a cig lighter can only handle about 400 watts (and thats if the wire distance is very short). On my boat I have a stand-alone, type 27, deep-cycle connected to a 1500 watt inverter. It allows me to carry on just about anything and gives me a good 30 amp/hours of pure 110. This won't work for hard-wired, on-board components but it's great for the carry-on stuff.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Going direct to the battery is fine, but you MUST use a fuse as close the the battery as you can, and the fuse CAN NOT be over the amp rating of the wire. However for the GPS you should be fine tying into the current fuse pannel. The TV like has been said above we need more info. Like TV draw in AC mode, and also the length of the run from the Battery to the TV.

Jon
Old 01-20-2002, 07:43 AM
kook

A more flexible, but maybe less "clean" method would be to buy a portable 12v battery jump starter - you can run accessories off of that, if you don't want to do any wiring.

Jump starter