used 502MAG repower questions

Notices

used 502MAG repower questions

Old 01-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking used 502MAG repower questions

I'm repowering my '98 Formula LS252 7.4MPI B3 with a used freshwater takeout 502MAG with a 130hrs.

What maintenance or performance mods make sense to do to the motor before the install? New plugs, filters and an oil change are a given... what else would you do?

I'm looking for advise like for instance an oil change kit or a different oil pan etc., you know stuff that is a pain to add when the motor is in the boat.

Thanks,

Jamal
Old 01-20-2002, 02:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Offshore motor mounts
Sea Strainer with 3 way valve
New coupler
Quick oil drain kit, the kind that goes into the plug hole of the pan.
Plugs and filters for sure.
Re-mount the Oil filter with a new mount that orients it with the threads at the top. So oil dont leak all over when you change it.

Whipple
Old 01-20-2002, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the cost for the 502. Used is always a risk,it is always better to buy new. Crate motors offer an inexpensive way to repower. Check out www.1800runsnew Complete the motors with accessories from your 7.4.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Ken ]
Old 01-20-2002, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Talking

Raypanic,

What is involved in installing offshore mounts... I have thru-bolted engine mounts.

New coupler? Is that were the Bravo 3 hooks up with the motor? Is there some servicing that should be done to the Bravo while the motor is out?

Do you recommend an outlet from where to get the aforementiond parts?

Whipple might be next years project...the additional 105HP's should tie me over for a season.

Thanks,

Jamal
Old 01-20-2002, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ken,

It is setting me back $4,500 trade difference... including shipping both ways and a one year warranty ... also the 502 has about 100hrs less on it than my 7.4MPI.

That is less than it would of cost me to modify the 7.4MPI ... with a much better resale value. Also future modification are now limited only by how much I want to spend.

Jamal
Old 01-20-2002, 04:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

S4,

The offshore mounts are offered by Keith Eickert, Teague and others. ( check out http://www.keith-eickert.com/) They are a large bracket that spans between the stringers and replaces the current mounts. These are great if you plan on really pounding the boat. The cross bolted mounts are good but these are much better. At least it is worth concidering.

The coupler is the thing that the spline on the outdrive inserts into. It is directly bolted to the flywheel. It is about the same size as the flywheel and has a spline input in the center encased in a rubber isolation mount. These couplers usually wear and for 350.00 It is a good thing to replace. It depends on how much torture the old one on the enging got but if you dont do it now it would require removing the engine to replace later. They are available from wholesailers. like CP Performance or Others.

The bravo can be serviced while the engine is in or out, It does have to come off anyhow to remove the engine. It would be worth checking it out while it is off if you suspect any problems. I would not worry about it if you have no simptoms of anything.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Raypanic,

Thanks for the input... the coupler is something I would have not considered since I did not know that it was a wear item.

Is that something that can be inspected or should I replace it regardless as preventative maintenance...what is the expected life of a coupler under "normal" use? Is it part of the bobtail motor or part of the bravo?

Anything else that I should be inspecting or replacing while repowering?

Thanks,

Jamal
Old 01-20-2002, 07:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It should be part of the bobtail. I dont know of how to inspect them though. If you have the engine out there are two grease fittings on it. Many people strip them out with higher horsepower engines I know. I would just replace it. I did on my re-power. It would only be a 30 Minute job with the engine out. Look at Cpperfromance.com part number 525-18341 under catalog-drivelines-couplers
Old 01-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just for comparison, 502, 435 hp service base motor is about the same with 1 yr. warranty.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 01-21-2002, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I looked into the base motors... if I recall correctly they required to switch from the MPI to a carb system which is not acceptable to me. I need simple turnkey no fuss power.

An HP500EFI would have been the ultimate, but that it a lot of $$$$ for a 50 to 80hr season (mostly on a lake).