Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Rtech fits older style M-3 and M-4 Procharger (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/68461-rtech-fits-older-style-m-3-m-4-procharger.html)

tomcat 01-10-2004 10:37 AM

Rtech fits older style M-3 and M-4 Procharger

1 Attachment(s)
An OSO member sent me his older style M-3 and the physical dimensions are the same as those given in the latest catalog for the M-4. The supercooler is mounted on a Dart intake.

I am making a pattern to manufacture a custom silicone transition hose for this application. Similar to the M-1/M-2 conversion a slight dogleg is required. I have mocked it up with tape in this picture.

The supercooler has been tested at 1000 HP and delivers 89% cooling effectivenes at this HP level. This should be a good match for M-3/M-4 owners looking to upgrade their remote mount 504 intercoolers.

tomcat 01-10-2004 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Front view

shawn 01-10-2004 12:06 PM

Tom, your mailbox is full. What will be the cost of a complete unit through you? Compressor, chiller etc. You previously said to get the carb and fuel upgrade from Dean.

thanks
shawn

26sonic 01-10-2004 12:22 PM

tomcat of r-tech super cooler when is the unit going to be ready for the 502 efi's using the m3 self contained pro charged systems ?

cobra marty 01-10-2004 01:57 PM

Is that a motor inside your living room?

Turbojack 01-10-2004 05:08 PM

Sunday we are going to do a fitting to see how the Rtech will work with the Holley EFI Domminator intake, 2000cfm throttle body & the M4. Hope I can sleep tonight.

Cobra - You don't expect him to work in the garage do you? It's cold up there.

tomcat 01-10-2004 07:54 PM

Shawn: Sorry abouty the mailbox. Talk to Dean Nickerson for the complete setup. He is our dealer in your area. He has done two systems already and is doing another two in the near future.

26sonic: The HP500EFI setup is in the works, and I hope to use the same design on the 502MPI engine with slight changes. As with the carb version it will fit both Vortech and Procharger blowers.

Hey Marty: Doesn't everybody on OSO have a blower engine in their house? I've got a question for you; do you have both a J-trim and an X-trim and are they the same outside dimensions? You know why I'm asking.

cobra marty 01-10-2004 08:35 PM

I'm going to get them tonight and will be home tomorrow. They are the same size only the inlet opening is different.

dyno 01-12-2004 07:08 AM

can you buy the blower and brackets without the box???

tomcat 01-12-2004 07:47 AM

If you mean buy the M-4 without the dual carb box and 504 intercooler, I think the answer is yes, just tell them it's for aftermarket EFI and you have your own custom intercooler. After we do our first M-4 installation we will approach Procharger and hopefully they will sell us the components at WD prices so we can offer an M-4/Supercooler kit.

Turbojack just did a trial fitting with the Supercooler and the alignment of the blower outlet and box inlet was almost perfect. He will post some pictures soon. He is using an EFI system from Force Fuel Injection based on the Holley intake manifold with a 2000 CFM throttle body.

Eternal Warrior 01-12-2004 08:43 AM

Tomcat,

Are you going to develop one of these systems for the 496 with a Procharger?

tomcat 01-12-2004 11:14 AM

I will be doing a system for the 496, as soon as you can put a decent amount of boost into them without the pistons falling apart. I have a great design for that engine using a modified Vortech compressor, but what's the point if you can only run 3.5 psi? I will likely use the design on the HP525EFI before the 496.

Eternal Warrior 01-13-2004 08:23 AM

I thought Procharger's system could run 5 psi on the 496. :confused: Granted that's not a lot of boost, but with your intercooler that should result in a significant horsepower gain. I'll wait patiently for your system. :D

tomcat 01-13-2004 09:44 AM

Procharger sells the system at 3.5 psi. The 5 psi pulley is an option. If I remember correctly Whipple's kit for this engine is set at 4 psi.

I am no expert on this engine. I have heard through the grapevine that if you have a problem with the 5 psi pulley you're on your own. Two sources I trust have flat out told me the engine should not be supercharged, that even when temperatures and fuel ratios look fine, the pistons just won't hold up. I understand that the pistons are hypereutectic (cast) and 9:1 C.R. Nobody has been able to explain the specifics of the failure to me yet.

I agree that the same principles apply and a rough calculation suggests that switching to a Supercooler would deliver 20F cooler air than the Procharger. In other engines this allows us to safely run more boost and make 10-20% more power. On the 496 maybe it might be wiser to leave the boost at 5 psi and let the engine live.

Anyway, I am thinking about the 496, but not ready to move on it yet. Thanks for bringing up the topic and don't hesitate to contact me directly if you want to discuss further.

Tom Robinson
(416) 709-8714

Eternal Warrior 01-13-2004 12:09 PM

I've heard that about the engine. From what I've heard, the 496's are taking longer to properly break-in (40 hrs or more). So blowers are being put on before it is broke in and that has caused the problems. I don't know if that holds any water. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm having the 3.5 psi Procharger put on. The perfomance dealer installing said they've done a few and haven't any problems yet. They've been honest up to this point so. Keep us up to date. I find your projects very interesting.

Mark

tomcat 01-13-2004 12:44 PM

That's an interesting point. If the rings haven't sealed properly and fuel pressures have been raised for the blower, you could have cylinders washing down at low speeds. That could contribute to the piston skirt failures that I have been told about. Good luck with the installation. I will have to think about this some more. When you get the installation done, give me a call. I would like to see it up close.

Eternal Warrior 01-13-2004 04:06 PM

I won't get the boat back until spring, but I'll let you know when I do. Or if you are going to be in the Grand Rapids area shoot me an email ([email protected]). I'm sure you could go take a look at the setup. I think the install is almost done.

Turbojack 01-13-2004 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is pick of trial. TC- When do I get one to keep instead of just play with?

tomcat 01-14-2004 07:40 AM

Jack:

I am machining the Dominator baseplate this week. I will ship the box before I go to L. A. next week. When you get the sides painted that red color it's going to look good.

Tom

dyno 01-14-2004 07:53 AM

TJack that looks great!!! What color is that on your engine???Its Ausome!!

Turbojack 01-14-2004 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paint is Dupli-Color Metalcast Red. If you do it right (use primer first) it looks just like power coating. Here is from another angle.

dyno 01-15-2004 07:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turbojack
[B]Paint is Dupli-Color Metalcast Red.
Like out of a spray bomb??? your kidding that looks great!!!

tomcat 01-15-2004 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have Jack's engine on my computer as wallpaper because of that colour. Here's a before after shot.