Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
All You Carburetor Gurus Out There! >

All You Carburetor Gurus Out There!

Notices

All You Carburetor Gurus Out There!

Old 01-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question All You Carburetor Gurus Out There!

I have a question regarding the gasket used between the throttle plates, and the main body on a Quadrajet. I bought a rebuild kit fom an auto parts store. It's the correct kit for my casting number (17059286). Everything in the kit looks ok except for a small discrepency with that gasket. The one currently in the carb has a slot cut in it between the primary and secondary bores. The replacement does not. What's the purpose of the slots? Is that the gasket I need to use? I'm sure it's been rebuilt before, so who knows if it's the right one in the first place? If it is, who sells it? This carb is an original for 1986 - 89 OMC 5.0, 5.7, 7.4 according to the books. Look at the pic. The one on the right is the one currently in the carb.
Attached Thumbnails All You Carburetor Gurus Out There!-basegask3.jpg  
Old 01-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Registered

Dont worry about it. They connect in the manifold anyway. Cant see the pic, but I've run into this on other carbs too.
Just be sure there is not a vent hole that is/is not being sealed.
Gary
Old 01-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered

All the holes line up on both gaskets. It's just those slots.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-13-2004, 03:31 PM
220BR

I'm not a professional, but I agree that 17059286was likely the original carb because its not an auto number (numerous websites have look up tables for auto carbs).
So, I doubt you got the right kit for a marine Q-jet from an auto parts store, no matter what their catalog says.

I am not aware of any marine Q-jet using a slotted throttle body to bowl gasket, but my knowledge is mostly Merc, a little OMC. I agree with Gary that AFTER the secondary throttle plates open, the slot will do very little one way or the other. The problem to me is what happens in that idle to 30% throttle before the secondary plates start to move. I think the slot will lean out the mixture. Not good in a marine application.

My 2 cents are to order a correct kit from a marine shop.

Old 01-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Registered

The auto parts store I got it from didn't list it as a car application. They just had a master Borg Warner book that listed the carb, and the appropriate kit. I'll check with the marine suppliers anyway to see if there's a difference in the kit. A friend of mine who's been rebuilding carbs for years actually found the marine application for this carb in one of his many books. I also found the number on some OMC parts sites. He (My Friend), never saw a gasket like this either.