Vortec Replacement Heads

Notices

Vortec Replacement Heads

Old 01-15-2004, 08:08 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vortec Replacement Heads

I noticed a lot of people are looking at Vortec heads for their sbc builds. Pro Topline offers a price equivalent (“906” replacement) head that works better than the stock head. The heads will accept camshafts w/ lifts in excess of .470 without any cutting and comes standard w/screw in studs. They flow better out of the box than the Vortecs and with a mild bowl blend will sustain 450 hp easily. These heads offer a significant price/performance advantage to putting money into stock heads. (I am not affiliated) Joe Sherman is using these heads on his crate (Goodwrench short block (cast), “906” heads (bowl blend), mild hyd flat, demon carb) engines and is making in excess of 450 hp, so they are capable pieces.
Hope this helps,
Bob
http://www.protopline.com/2236494906.asp
Old 03-19-2004, 01:00 AM
451 stroker

Default Sherman's Vortec crate engine

Does anybody know what cam Sherman is using in his 450 horse Vortec crate engine? I have an almost identical set up, except I am using a Comp Cams XE 262. I'd say that I'm only making around 375 hp.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If were talking budget performance small block heads I think that the World Sportsman II should get an honorable mention. At $253 a casting to your door you get a great deal!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:35 AM
cstraub69@comcast

RM,
The head did make power, but Pro is in Bank Recievership and with the debt load, no one is standing up with an offer. Once inventory is gone in the states, including the containers on the high seas, the heads will not be made anymore.

Chris

Old 03-19-2004, 08:45 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sutphen30
The plus also is that by the time you put the money into the Vortecs to get them close to the level of the 906's out of the box performance, the cost effectiveness is negated. Let me know the 200 Protoplines work for you. Hopefully the company will work out of its current receivership status and continue production. My original post was dated in January prior to Protops financial difficulties.
Formula78
I used my first set of Sportsman II in a marine app. in 1990. With a bowl blend and some minor work (a bit weak on the exhaust side) they made good numbers with the proper cam. The second gen out now has an even better combustion chamber also.
451 stroker
Because Joe is now marketing the 450 hp crate engine and a 200 hp upgrade package of heads/cam/intake for the 'Goodwrench" engine, the exact numbers are not being published or made readily available. The cam is matched to the flow numbers and are the key to the package. I'm sure the numbers are out there, they just aren't keen on giving them away for free.

Bob