Anbody install Aftermkt Cruise Control on your Truck >

Anbody install Aftermkt Cruise Control on your Truck

Notices

Anbody install Aftermkt Cruise Control on your Truck

Old 02-06-2004, 04:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anbody install Aftermkt Cruise Control on your Truck

I am wanting to install cruise on my 94 Ford Bronco...It's really a pain towing to hell and back without cruise...Anybody installed aftermarket cruise control kits? Several people have mentioned Audiovox setups as good,in-expensive units. Im just leary of the name "Audiovox". Looking for some advice here for my tow pig!

Randy
"Bad-Habit"
Old 02-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed it on a 91 Chev. I,m not sure if it was Audiovox or not but I got it from Sears. Never had any problems with it. Just like factory installed.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I used to install all the aftermarket stuff for dealerships. Did everything from power doorlocks and sunroofs to remote starts and cruise controlls. We mainly did the prestige/pursuit (audiovox) and DEI systems. The audiovox stuff is better then alot of other junk ive seen like from best buy and such.....
The only thing i will warn you to stay away from....and i dont know if they even still do it this way at all.......is the cruise systems that get the vechicle speed by way of a "sensor" mounted on the drive shaft. Make sure the system gets the veichly speed from the VSS (Vechicle Speed Sensor) off the trannie. Other then that if you know your way around a car and can do basic electrical connections all i can recomend is to get a realy good manual on the truck you are working on. Something better then the chiltons junk you get at PepBoys! Or if you have a good contact at the dealer have then print out the wireing scematic of the computer so you know what wires to tap into.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-09-2004, 04:37 AM
Registered

Just Wondering what is the difference between a DSS sensor and a VSS sensor....Audiovox uses a system that uses the DSS route?

Randy
"Bad-Habit"
Old 02-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

The DSS i believe is the Drive Shaft Sensor.....the one you want to stay away from if at all possible. Check on it and see if they are actually just renaming it their own term and actually using the VSS output of the trannie. Most times the drive shaft sensors are nothing more then a magnet ziptied tot he driveshaft and a pickup sensor mounted just to the side of it for a trigger signal. You can only imagine the headaches you will get from road debris or if the magnet shifts etc......

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 PM
Registered

I sell cruise controls to car dealers all day long. There are two types. Vacuum based and electronic systems. Many new cars don't generate much vacuum therefore you get surging and other inability of the unit to hold speed. Also, electronic cruise is quiter. You can often hear the actuator in a vacuum unit hit the backing plate.

Audiovox, is a hard name for anyone 30 to 40 years old to accept as back in our high school days, Audiovox was the KMart Blue Light special brand.

Today, Audiovox has diversified to offer down and dirty basics and high end quality aftermarket electronics. Believe it or not, Audiovox is the best cruise. Audiovox is the best mobile video screen (at their price point) Audiovox now owns Advent, Acoustic Research, Code Alarm and many other brands.

As always, if you need a deal on marine, car or home electronics, feel free to call me at (813)882-8477.

Andy Buzz
Buzz-Off Alarm Systems
Maximum Audio
www.buzz-off.com