Water leak thru drive?

Notices

Water leak thru drive?

Old 02-27-2004, 12:25 PM
RMM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak thru drive?

Have a sort of odd water intrusion. When the aft end is very low in water, ie going up onto plane or if at dock and 4-5 people on swim platfor or in cockpit, I get water intrusion. Maybe a couple of gallons. Have determined all the bellows are ok and marina suggested that may be a leaky seal at steering pin? and when top of transom is submerged it happens. Want about $750 to replace and not positive this is the problem.

Anybody have any insight? Thanks

1988 Bravo I
Old 02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Common problem on older Bravos. Not out of line on the price either. The only way to save money is drill holes in the transom and remove the gimbal that way,, then you have two plastic black plugs in your transom plate.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:14 PM
RMM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

obnoxus, thanks. Already has the black plugs/repair kit installed from a previous owner. In looking at the diagrams, I can't seem to tell exactly what creates the seal where the pin (swivel shaft) goes into the gimbal housing. Ie. on the top of the gimbal ring, but below? the gimbal housing is there a bushing/seal here somewhere? Hope my description is making sense.

Also given the plugs are already installed, any idea what kind of time/$ savings I should see from the dealer? They do not know the plugs are there.

Thanks again!
Old 02-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a seal that is in the transom plate that the steer pin goes through. If yours has already been done once and this is actually where the leak is, the steer pin itself may be corroded and needing replaced along with a new seal. The seal usually doesnt show up on breakdowns for some reason.

I have all the parts here. Where are you located at?

It saves you the time of pulling the motor, but its harder to work with so that hurts you labor wise a bit.

I would think it would knock around $300 off.