95 502 efi   vapor lock?? >

95 502 efi vapor lock??

Notices

95 502 efi vapor lock??

Old 03-13-2004, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 502 efi vapor lock??

What's up with that. Once in a while I'll be idling around and the thing will quit. Or after doing some cruising and a stop at the sand bar it will start right up and away we go. After a short time it may quit. After sitting around a few it will go again and maybe not have another problem. what'sup
Old 03-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read there was a problem with the fuel pumps causing this. There is a Mercury Service bulletin on this condition.

Heres an old discussion on it.
For a couple more, do a search of 'vaporlock' in the tech section. Vaporlock

BTW, the Mercury service bulletins no longer are accessible for some reason. Used to be able to read them up until a couple months ago.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 03-13-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could also be the VST system, have it diagnosed and if you need a good deal on VST parts or the fuel pump I have both from a 160 hr. 96 502 EFI that I took off when my Procharger was installed
Old 03-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Registered

Try installing more ventilation to the inside of the motor compartment, help to lower air temperature. Check fuel line from to see if you have a small restriction (anti-si valve). BTW, no luck on any good Sidewinders.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. This site is cool. Sounds like keeping that VST cool would help. Thanks for lookin, still tryin to find a set of those stabilizers.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:22 PM
maverick1

Question

Just a thought - inside the VST tank ( with all the fuel plumbing on top of your motor) is your high pressure pump - there is a fine (I mean very fine) screen at the base of the pump - they have a habit of clogging up and causing lots of problems.

you might want to take a look see.

MAV

Old 03-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally posted by maverick1
Just a thought - inside the VST tank ( with all the fuel plumbing on top of your motor) is your high pressure pump - there is a fine (I mean very fine) screen at the base of the pump - they have a habit of clogging up and causing lots of problems.

you might want to take a look see.

MAV
that's what was wrong with one of my engines, I pulled the top off , make sure you are careful cause the oring will stick and if you strech it, it will not fit back in the groove and you have to buy a 80 dollar oring kit, the round filter screen can be cleaned with brake clean and reinstalled, you could also have a float problem are a needle and seat problem both of which are in the top of the VST tank, after cleaning no more problems on my boat at all
Old 03-14-2004, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Maverick1 is right on. I had a that same problem . Drove me nuts. It was that very fine screen. No problems since.
Steve
Old 03-15-2004, 08:10 AM
Registered

bj502, another issue with the VST tank is the ventalation of the gas fumes in it. It is equiped with a diaphram that opens up with vacumm when the engine is running, to allow the pressure to vent into the plenum. When I had this same problem, I put a fuel pressure gauge on the input line to the VST and after the boat sat for 15 minutes the pressure would increase because of heat up to 8-10psi. After starting the motor it would stay there. Now the mecanical fuel pump only puts out 4-5 psi, so it can't pump fuel against the pressure. Then you start running and the VST runs out of fuel, and your motor dies.
Now mine was a 97 and the spring was on the wrong side of the diaphram. Another service bulletin. It is in my manual that I bought 2 years ago. Apperantly they made 2 different VST top covers. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Registered

As for that very fine screen in the VST tank, I always carry a spare with me. You will have great difficulty finding a replacement Saturday afternoons. Merc is REAL proud of these too. $70.00 or something like it. Just a tiny little cone shaped filter. It's not too terribly difficult to replace if you absolutely have to. The second time is a snap. The entire assembly unbolts from the rear with 9/16 or maybe 1/2 inch bolts. I would do a practice run to make sure I had the correct tools. Mark the fuel lines clearly to where you pulled them from as they will fit either position. You should probably carry a new O-ring gasket as well. You can use just a tiny bit of super glue to hold the old one in place if needed.

The VST screen is much finer than the standard Mercruiser water seperator/fuel filter. This means that if you have super fine debris ( smaller than 70 microns ), only the VST screen catches it. That is better than trashing an injector but still not nice.

After a few debris problems I installed a RACOR ( 10 micron ) filter "after" the standard Merc filter and have experienced absolutely no VST screen problems since. That is over 250hrs ago.

Good luck with your problem.

Quick Reply: 95 502 efi vapor lock??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.