Need Carb advice >

Need Carb advice

Notices

Need Carb advice

Old 04-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ragtop409
Just another example of why this place rocks!

Rag's
Hey Rags, What's up?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not much cant wait to get my resin bucket in the water and test my mod's out. Is it summer yet?

rag's
Old 04-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally posted by ragtop409
not much cant wait to get my resin bucket in the water and test my mod's out. Is it summer yet?

rag's
Nope. Not summer here....sucks. What mods did you do? Still have the Nova?
Old 04-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mcollinstn
Put J tubes on it.
If you run a mech fuel pump, make sure it is a marine one and run the diaphragm vent to the flame arrestor.
I've never tried it, but have read where marine carbs are factory calibrated differently to account for the increased negative pressure created in the float bowls due to the positioning of the j tubes relative to the airstream. Makes sense to me. Maybe this can be tuned out with different idle screw adjustments or float level changes, I don't know. Anyone?

BT
Old 04-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Anything you do to a motor, it's exhaust, the carb, the flame arrestor, the engine compartment vents, the air temperature, or the humidity will affect the carb calibration in some manner.

Most tiny changes will go unnoticed.

The J tube deal will indeed create a higher negative pressure in the bowls with increased airflow. What I mean by that is that at idle there will be no change - at WOT there will be a bit of negative pressure in the bowls in comparison to the standard slash cut vents. This will in some cases require a fatter main jet.

Float level change affects calibration all the way across the operating range - keep a normal float level. Possible main jet changes, though.

Like any carb change or engine mod, you gotta check (the plugs) and tweak.

But you need J tubes in a boat. No 2 ways around it.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Registered

I would ask them what they planned to do for calibration changes to account for the float bowl pressure change. If it is nickerson you are using, maybe they have a tried and true calibration change that negates the affect. Whatever you do, just make sure you fully lube the kunuter assembly before returning to service

BT
Old 04-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Registered

Dave, thinking about selling the ZZ carb and buy a marine carb from Eagle as you suggested before. That way I'm out only a couple hundred $. However, I know Nickerson has a good reputation and feel that if I give them all the specs on the ZZ they'll set the carb up properly. Not sure about an "off the shelf" carb out of the box being set up right for the ZZ.

Boating season will be here in a month or so, gotta make a decision. Hate these executive decisions
Old 04-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Kidnova
Hate these executive decisions
Life was certainly easier back in the day when the kunuter was in charge of all decision making

BT
Old 04-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally posted by blue thunder
Life was certainly easier back in the day when the kunuter was in charge of all decision making

BT

LOL. I got married 8 years ago. The Kunuter stopped making the decisions 7.5 years ago.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:08 PM
Registered

mcollinstn brings up another good point re: future exhaust changes. No doubt I'll be dicthing the stock Merc stuff and probably be putiing on the Revolution Marine manifolds. Don't expext a huge gain from that, maybe somewhere in the +100 to 200 rpm range. But that combinded with the J installation will add to the mix. Maybe best to feed all the info to Nickerson and let them have at it. What do you guys think??

Quick Reply: Need Carb advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.