Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   silent choice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/77255-silent-choice.html)

u150 04-21-2004 07:35 PM

silent choice

Hi guys- new to the forum- had a question about silent choice.... I have an 88 Wellcraft Nova II 26 ft w/ a 502 w/ a Bravo I drive and am going to put merc. silent choice on. I picked up the y pipe, compressor and divertor valves to do the job. Here are my ?s:
1. Everybody I've talked to says I will have to pull the engine to get the y-pipe in. Not a big deal, but does anybody have a trick for getting the pipe in without pulling the engine?

2. Will there be anything else I need (in the drive or elsewhere)? I know I need to grab some tubing, a switch/relay and wire in the compressor, but anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks,
John

US1 Fountain 04-21-2004 07:44 PM

Re: silent choice

Originally posted by u150
1. Everybody I've talked to says I will have to pull the engine to get the y-pipe in. Not a big deal, but does anybody have a trick for getting the pipe in without pulling the engine?

Afraid you have to pull the motor.

2. Will there be anything else I need (in the drive or elsewhere)? I know I need to grab some tubing, a switch/relay and wire in the compressor, but anything else anyone can think of?

You will need the o-ring that goes at the y-pipe, the 2 oval shaped boots for top of y-pipe, 4 exhaust tubes for the divertors. Be sure to either have good flappers in the y-pipe or buy new ones.

Thanks,
John

u150 04-22-2004 10:09 AM

Thanks! I have the oval pieces and y pipe has flappers. Have all the clamps, etc, so I guess I just need the oring.
Appreciate the help!
John

SSComp 04-22-2004 12:20 PM

I'm going the opposite way. I'd like to buy your Transom assembly exhaust block off plate is you are willing to depart with it.

JimmyBaja 04-22-2004 06:35 PM

u150, I did the same thing as you last year on my 87 twin 454s. You can get the job done without completely pulling the motors if you are small framed and don't mind loosing a little skin off your back. Just take out the motor mount bolts, the rear transom engine mount bolt, and any wiring that does not have slack. Raised the motor up and pushed it to one side. Brother-law crawled in and got it done. Love the silent choice!!!

JimmyBaja 04-22-2004 06:37 PM

Bajalion, I have alpha block off caps if they will fit.

u150 04-22-2004 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info again guys- I would probably sell the block off plate Bajalion, but I am not sure when I will get to the job. Might not do it until it comes out of the water this year (unless I break something).
how come you are loosing the silent choice?
I like the thru hull, but there are a few times when it is nice to quiet the thing down

SSComp 04-22-2004 07:46 PM

It was worth a shot.

Jimmy... I sent you an e-mail.

JimmyBaja 04-23-2004 07:44 AM

BajaLion

Did not receive the email. You have a pm.

JimmyBaja