Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I think I hurt my alpha, and I had a buyer! >

I think I hurt my alpha, and I had a buyer!

Notices

I think I hurt my alpha, and I had a buyer!

Old 06-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I think I hurt my alpha, and I had a buyer!

I was thinking Dubberts...I guess I thought maybe I could find somebody closer.
I drove out there to get a shift assist module for an OMC about three weeks ago.

The place looks great. It's a cruise for me, but it was the cleanest shop I ever saw, and had about 50 tech certs on the wall.

They also had a full Alpha drive in the showroom cut cross section so that you could see every part come together in the drive. Very cool.

I will probably just run the lower half out there this afternoon.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Registered

Dropped upper and lower off at Dubberts late Monday afternoon.

Phone rings Tuesday morning. Drive is done. Reassembled too. Less than 24 hours. Less than 100 bucks? Amazing.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fund, there is still a part on the bell housing that can be bent. check it, as it may be bent as well.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

the upper shift shaft needs to be checked in the bellhousing.. that should be all... the bellhousing took all of the thrust load from it during all of this. make sure the roller is between the arms on the other end of the shift shaft.. up by where the input shaft on the drive passes into the bellhousing.. put some 2-4-C on the roller...

put the motor in forward gear... rotate shift shaft in drive until it is in forward gear.. the tab will point stern to bow... rotate prop CCW at this point during installation and it will stay in gear.. if you go CW any appreciable amount it MAY rotate the shift shaft and come out of gear...
Old 06-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Registered

The upper shift shaft (vertical) looks good, rotates smoothy. Doesn't look bent.
Didn't deform anything where it comes together with the housing. Not even warped.

The drive is coming back to me assembled, so I will have to make sure it's in forward at the back of the upper half, if it isn't already in forward when I get it back.
(The boat remains in forward)
The roller will pop in and out of the space between the "arms" in the square shaped horizontal arm that goes into the drive, but stays with the bell housing. It always did this. when the lower unit is off, if we are talking about the same part. It seems to behave just like it has in the past when I had the drive off.

Question: Could anything bad have happened at the shift cable attachment on the engine block during my attempt to see if it would shift? I don't think so, and I didn't force anything to move when I knew there was a problem. Just curious what you guys think.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Registered

well I guess I know where mine's going when I grenade it.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fund razor

Question: Could anything bad have happened at the shift cable attachment on the engine block during my attempt to see if it would shift? I don't think so, and I didn't force anything to move when I knew there was a problem. Just curious what you guys think.

Thanks for the input.
It shouldnt have. You should be all good from here. let us know when you get it back together.

hows your buyer holding up?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for pointing me back in their direction Just Once.

I'm still shocked that they turned it around in less than a day. I guess when you know what you're doing it's not a big deal. Plus they stock all parts. They wait for nobody.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

Baja Runner:

Thanks. Good to have confirmation.

The buyer is holding up really well. He sent me an email saying that the fact that I was going ahead with repairs regardless of whether he walked away from the sale said a lot to him.
I told him if you are going to own a boat, you have a responsibility to keep it in a safe, seaworthy condition.
Plus, I didn't BS him about this, he's realizing that I haven't BS'd him about anything else.
I told him what I broke, and how I did it, and what I was going to do about it.
I'm too busy to lie to the guy.... too much work.
This is my older boat. (Wellcraft Nova) It's in really good shape, and was repowered in 2002. Most things were replaced in 2003. He really wants an old Nova, and for the money, he isn't going to get one in better shape. I think that he might just hang in there.

The fact that Dubberts turned that drive around in just one day was a bonus.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

I picked the drive up from Dubbert's yesterday.

Not only did they repair and reassemble the entire drive in one hour of shop time, they returned it to me full of Merc High Perf too!

Five stars. Highly recommended!

Quick Reply: I think I hurt my alpha, and I had a buyer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.