Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   My engine Water Pump is weeping...should I be? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/81325-my-engine-water-pump-weeping-should-i.html)

skygod 06-15-2004 02:43 AM

My engine Water Pump is weeping...should I be?

There is a stain around the weep hole, and it is weeping. Does this mean I need to replace it immediately? About how much?
Thanks,
Carl

Audiofn 06-15-2004 05:04 AM

Re: My engine Water Pump is weeping...should I be?

Yup it needs to be replaced. They are not so bad. Last I replaced them I got them from NAPA for I think 140 bucks or so. Labor is a very simple thing to do. Should not be a bad/expensive fix. You have to use a marine one as it has a stainless impeller.

Jon

Iggy 06-15-2004 05:24 AM

Check out BoatFix.com .
Circulation pumps run 66.54 to 105.00.
Bought mine from there two years ago.

Scott 06-15-2004 07:21 AM

Both of mine weep just a little bit when first started then stop after warm up. They have always done this and never seemed to hurt a thing. I can only assume this is because of higher water pressure until the T-Stat opens.

BajaRunner 06-15-2004 09:09 AM

ive got one leaking. the only reason boats can get away with this is we have bilge pumps and an unlimited water supply :)

robyw1 06-15-2004 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
ive got one leaking. the only reason boats can get away with this is we have bilge pumps and an unlimited water supply :)

uhhh.... eventually the pressure will blow out your front seal if allowed to go on this way. been there, done that. Bilge pump-smilge pump, if your waterpump shaft seal goes then you WILL over heat. I will be in Austin in a couple of weeks. I hope I won't need to tow you. :D:D

Roby

euby 06-15-2004 11:18 AM

yep..for the money i would replace it now... or you'll be sorry later

BajaRunner 06-15-2004 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by robyw1
uhhh.... eventually the pressure will blow out your front seal if allowed to go on this way. been there, done that. Bilge pump-smilge pump, if your waterpump shaft seal goes then you WILL over heat. I will be in Austin in a couple of weeks. I hope I won't need to tow you. :D:D

Roby

no i agree it needs to be fixed, you just have a little longer to do it. if it was in a car, you would be on the side of the road with no antifreeze.

dont worry, i plan on doing it this weekend. ive just procrastinated a little more than usual. give me a buzz when you get into austin.

skygod 06-15-2004 01:39 PM

Yeah I figured it was toast. I'm just trying to decide if I need to do it before we go to lake Mohave this weekend. I am just finishing replacing both drive trim indicator cables. This is the first boat I have done all the work on. Sometimes it's a PITA but it sure saves $$$. I have learned a lot thanks to my trusty service manual. The job looks pretty simple. I am doing trailer brake shoes on an axle before also. I started my spring project list a month late. Thanks all!
Carl

NEXTASEX 06-15-2004 07:02 PM

Int he classifieds they have a dealer selling new marine gm water pumps for i think 75$ for BBC.