Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   377 scorpion through an alpha ss? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/81761-377-scorpion-through-alpha-ss.html)

JGB 06-21-2004 08:32 PM

377 scorpion through an alpha ss?

I know I have read here that quite a few of you are running big sbc power through an alpha ss with no issues. Am I asking for trouble considering this? Thanks,

Jim

jpclear 06-22-2004 08:16 AM

Re: 377 scorpion through an alpha ss?

I would think that as long as the upper is using the newer HD forged gears from Merc. and a good drive shower for extra insurance that you should have no problems. --- jp

jaroot 06-22-2004 09:05 AM

i'm running 415 hp - 5700 rpm (350 chev) through an early prototype alpha SS and she took a tooth off of an upper gear this spring, luckily it decided to get caught between the two AT IDLE, WHEW... had NON HD gears... I put it back together with HD gears and have my fingers crossed that i have no more issues... i ran the HECK out of it last year though... without an issue...

my neighbor has an SS behind 435 hp (350 Chev) at about the same RPM as me... HD gears which have been further shot peened and stress relieved... he has 3 seasons or so on it without failure.. the guy that put it together was confident it'd handle 500+... kind of a stretch in my opinion but hey.. i only do drive rebuilds now and then... not as a professional living...

Gary at hydromotive has an SS behind some WICKED high rpm turbocharged 383 or something putting out big power numbers... and he told me he has not had issues... go figure...

JGB 06-22-2004 10:24 AM

Thanks JP and Jaroot. That's good to know.

Can you guys give me an estimate of how many hours you guys have run on the ss before an issue. thanks

Jim

jhnrckr 06-22-2004 05:56 PM

A few things to keep in mind, you will be much better off if your gear ration is 1.5 or 1.3. Use synthetic gear lube and a drive shower. A rubber hub prop might help too. It isn't how much HP you have, it is how hard you are back and forth on the throttle. Alphas can spin 7000 rpms all day, it is how hard you push it to get there that will kill them.

traviss 06-22-2004 06:42 PM

I run around 570 hp and 6000 rpm through a older standard alpha. No problems, use good lube, drive shower and you will be set

jaroot 06-22-2004 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by traviss
I run around 570 hp and 6000 rpm through a older standard alpha. No problems, use good lube, drive shower and you will be set

now THAT is impressive :)

airtime and weight are the killer... shock loading is the devil... mine broke when i reentered after being airborne... i was off the stick too... i felt it take the tooth and pick up the vibration...

turbineboat 06-22-2004 09:40 PM

Agreed, should be NO problem. There are 2 things that kill Alpha's.... Hole shots ( breaks the gears in the upper), and jumping wakes and landing without letting off the throttle ( breaks the vertical shaft). I'm Looking for an SS drive if ANYONE knows of one, let me know.... Thanks Eric.
[email protected]

cuda 06-22-2004 09:49 PM

I know where there were three for sale. I'll check to see if they still have them.

JGB 06-23-2004 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it.

Travis...Wow!