Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New to big boats and would like some suggestions.. >

New to big boats and would like some suggestions..

Notices

New to big boats and would like some suggestions..

Old 06-22-2004, 02:54 PM
BigWillOKC

Question New to big boats and would like some suggestions..

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and a new Baja owner. Well, not new, but new to me. This is my first boat ever, so I didn't wanted to get something decent but not tearjerking if I screw up. I got a deal I couldn't pass up on a 1996 Baja 260 with less than 100 hours on it. It is completely stock and has the 7.4 Mercruiser 454 in it with a Bravo I outdrive. This weekend at 160 hours, the oil pump went out and now the dealer says I have a rod knocking. They are going to put a new engine in it this week, same as before, but my question is: What sort of modifications can I do to this thing to get more speed but stable performance? Before this thing was running 60-62. I know the 260's aren't exactly everyone's choice for speed, but there has to be something I can do. I don't want to break the sound barrier, but I would like to be around 70+ and dependable. Is a Whipple something that is suitable for my needs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realize I posted this as a response to a lower unit protection thread, so I figured I would make a new threat that may welcome more responses.....

Thanks
Will

Old 06-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New to big boats and would like some suggestions..

Hi Will, congrats on your new boat!

If your 454 is the 300 HP verison, it's a good engine, but not the best candidate for supercharging. If you have a choice with your dealer, and willing to pay the extra dollars to upgrade the engine, get the 454 EFI version which came in either a 385 or 414 HP package. Better rods, crank, pistons etc. Enjoy that while you recoup your investment, then in a year or so add the Whipple if you wish. The difference in the 300 and the 385 should be good for another 5+ MPH and still keep you with a very reliable package. Have fun with your new boat!
Old 06-22-2004, 03:09 PM
cstraub69@comcast

Why not a 502. See if you can pay the difference on that. Will give the boat more added value down the line when you are ready to trade.

Chris

Old 06-22-2004, 03:37 PM
BigWillOKC

My only problem is I took the boat in for an oil leak and they gave it back to me with no oil in it. So when I ran it, it jacked it up. After a very heated discussion with the owner of the shop and threats to spend the 3 grand on legal action and posting letters to Baja (they are the only dealer in the city) and on forums like this, rather than on a new engine that THEY screwed up, he decided to bite the bullet and take responsibility and replace it. So given my present situation, I think it would be ballsy to ask them if I can upgrade it, even if I pay the difference. I don't want to swap out the engine after this, it will have a one year warranty and I plan on moving up to a 29 Outlaw after this year. I just want some suggestions on stuff that will not involve sacrificing reliability and give me 5-7 mph. If there are any other suggestions, please let me know....

Old 06-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered

The 300, 330, 7.4 (whatever you want to call it) is probably the most reliable engine Merc makes. But it's not good for upgrades. 5-7 mph would probably take at least another 100hp on that boat.
A box with a raised drive would probably get you half way to your goal without any sacrafice to reliability.
My $0.02
Gary
Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Banned

Keep it stock and under warranty. Run the piss out of it for a year, then see about upgrading. They are very reliable.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
Keep it stock and under warranty. Run the piss out of it for a year, then see about upgrading. They are very reliable.
my thoughts exactly
Old 06-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Registered

If you'er planning on getting out in a year, I would not upgrade. Wait for the new boat and buy what you want.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeh if you want to upgrade they would sock it to you price wise too. Keep what got for a while see how it runs get some time into it. Maybe you will decide you need something else and change boats. If you can Keep it stock. They sell much better that way. If you have to upgrade do it by getting a different engine not modifications, Ie 454Mag 502 Mag 500EFI ect..
Old 06-22-2004, 05:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts
Wink Re: New to big boats and would like some suggestions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda

Ditto.

Quick Reply: New to big boats and would like some suggestions..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.