Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Bravo exhaust bellows (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/83271-bravo-exhaust-bellows.html)

tmthunder 07-14-2004 09:41 PM

Bravo exhaust bellows

I just received all new bellows for my Bravo. I am replacing them because my shift cable bellows is torn so while I have it apart why not change them all... My question is the "boot" I received for the exhaust is different from the one on the boat. The one on the boat is a bellows style and the new one is just a soft rubber boot. Is that a new design or do I have the wrong part?? They appear to be the same size and everything. Thanks for the help.

Kidnova 07-14-2004 10:15 PM

Re: Bravo exhaust bellows

There's the bellows type that's on your boat now, and I think there's also a "tube" type. I don't believe they are interchangeable. The bellows type expands and contracts as the out drive is trimmed. I think the tube type slides as the drive is trimmed. Be patient, no doubt there's someone here that can give you better info on the subject.

Falcon 07-14-2004 10:31 PM

The slip type is interchangeable. It allows leakage to help reduce backpressure. It's used with some big block applications and the HD transom assemblies. When up on plane it may be a bit louder if you only have thru hub exhaust. Hope this helps.

tmthunder 07-15-2004 01:07 PM

Thanks guys. I have silent choice so not sure about the sound changing as I very seldom use the through hub. This is on a 502MAG and it doesn't really say anything about it in the service manual so I will try it and find out.

J-Bonz 07-15-2004 01:40 PM

If you have silent choice and mostly run w/ thru-hull open go with the slip tube

good luck

euby 07-15-2004 03:51 PM

my bravo three came with the tube type...it will work fine.

US1 Fountain 07-15-2004 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by tmthunder
Thanks guys. I have silent choice so not sure about the sound changing as I very seldom use the through hub. This is on a 502MAG and it doesn't really say anything about it in the service manual so I will try it and find out.

Mine is the tube type also. Silent chioce w 502 MPI's.

it is a safer design as Falcon mentioned

tmthunder 07-15-2004 05:59 PM

Thanks guys I am working on the install tonight and should be done tomorrow. I will let you know if I have any troubles.. Thanks again'

tmthunder 07-18-2004 04:29 PM

Well I installed a new shift bellows and u-joint bellows. The tube type that I received will not fit my boat. It is way to short even with the drive all the way down it does not even come close to the bell housing. Am I missing something???? or is it possible that the tube style exhaust bellows does not fit all Bravo 1 applications. The transom assembly is a 1991 and the outdrive is a 2001 model. Let me know what you think.