Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sick 2000 502 Magnum EFI Baja 25 Outlaw >

Sick 2000 502 Magnum EFI Baja 25 Outlaw

Notices

Sick 2000 502 Magnum EFI Baja 25 Outlaw

Old 08-01-2004, 09:13 AM
DonMan

Default Re: Sick 2000 502 Magnum EFI Baja 25 Outlaw

I`m happy to see that your boat is running again.
However.....I have a couple issues.
It was running fine, you killed it, 15 minutes later it won`t start. How do you figure this to be a fuel filter problem if the engine ran fine before?
Second, the engine fired up while you were being towed. You were still using this "clogged" filter that wouldn`t allow the engine to start earlier, now it`s clear and working? I agree, you should have changed the filter every season.
I`m just thinking distributor problem here.........

Old 08-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had similar start up problem this year with my 1993 Powerquest 270 Laser with a 502EFI with 450 hours. Additionally and ironically at the same time I also had a problem with unburned fuel leaking out of one bank of the exhaust.

I went the route of changing the plugs (done after every 100 hours previously), and for the first time, changed the coil, ingition module, and plug wires. The start up problem went away completely and now it seams to be working fine.....except for one problem: I'm running a bit rich on one side of my engine (I can tell by seeing the exhaust stains on the transom). The boat seams to run fine, but rich

Any suggestions ?
Old 08-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy Novak
Boat started and ran good for 1 hour. Stopped to swim for about 15 minutes then TRIED to start boat then would spudder and die, spudder and die. Gas gauge was on 3/4's full but called my buddy for gas just in case with no success. He towed me in and about 30 minutes later while being towed, I finally got it started. It was definintely missing and running rough and would barely idle. Took it off tow and made it back to trailer keeping it reved up. Got it on the trailer and brought it home. Now what?

I had this one!! Take off the screen arrestor on the intake plenum. You will find the screen, the butterfly and all around is full of gunk. Clean it!! Use a spray gumout type cleaner. Wipe the soup like garbage away! Soak the screen if you have too. You will not believe how this screws up, start, idle and low speed power. It's actually robbing you of some top end and fuel economy as well.