Notices

Help

Old 07-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help

I Need Some Expert Help. Had Boat Mechanic (starting To Wonder)install 2 New 454 Ho's (not Rebuilt, New Crate Motors, Long Blocks). 1 Of The Motors Keeps Building Up Presure And Overheating (blowing Out Water Through Fresh Water Cooling Over Flow. Noticed A Large Amount Of Presure Coming Out Of Valve Covers To.) Also Noticed Neither Motor Is Giving Me The Rpms I Need Or Had On Old Motors.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:39 AM
Registered

Default Re: Help

????
Old 07-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Registered

Default Re: Help

First thing is what warrantee did you get from the builder? If none, and he wont stand behind his work and make this right, Ill give you my suggestions on where to go from here. You have what could be a variety of issues so deal with them one at a time. First thing you should find out is the specs of the engines. If they were standard crate engines (read automotive) then you have likely have issues more serious than a quick fix. These issues could be head gasket, cam, compression and marine clearances, all of which are different and important on a marine duty engine, especially on a boat requiring huge torque like yours. The pressure in the water system is not good, could be head gasket or intake gasket related. Is the oil clean and clear or getting milky from water? Blow-by out the valves covers is somewhat normal to a point, if excessive, then rings have likely not seated. What oil are you using to break them in? Is it a flat tappet cam? If so, it also requires a break-in period. If this wasnt done, it may be too late now. Get the oil changed and look at it closely for metal flakes, also cut open the filters and check them for metal.