Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   questions on electric brakes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/83907-questions-electric-brakes.html)

ncdiver2 07-26-2004 02:51 PM

questions on electric brakes

ok here goes i have 99 2500 series dodge ram with tow package factory installed and want to add electric bkes to cox boat trailer with 3 year old dexter axelI have been told that the "kit" from local trailer place includes all parts and nothing else is needed except insure i have tow package local dodge dealer says all is well it was installed at factory round 7 pin at rear of truck.Brake kit does not have actuator just wire to 7 pin(included)i have been told these brakes work like surge brakes ? what activates the brakes?
which pin? Do they work off truck brake lights or what?Neither trailer place or dodge guy could really tell me what i wanted to know any help?

JohnJan 07-26-2004 04:24 PM

Re: questions on electric brakes

Sounds like you need an electric brake controller. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy and it rocks. It's basically a pendulum sensor within an under dash mounted device with controls that sends a varying signal to the brake wire. The signal varies based upon the deceleration of the truck acting on the pendulum. I got mine from etrailer.com.

Hi-Tech Marine 07-29-2004 10:10 PM

Ditto's on the Prodigy!!!!

boatfreak 07-30-2004 07:33 AM

Ditto's on the ditto's. I have a prodigy in my new truck and is is hands down the best controller I have ever had.

screebar 08-02-2004 12:48 PM

I have had a 1995, 1998, 1999 Dodge ram 1500 with towing package. All of them had the 4 wires required to hook up the electric brakes under the dash. Real easy job to wire them up.

Pure Energy 08-02-2004 07:46 PM

Triple ditto!!! The Podegy plugs in behind the dash, simple install. Don't know if your truck has it. The trailer plug cover (on the truck) may be labelled for each prong. After hrs. of trying to figure mine out, I looked at the cover and it was all right there!

ga1990 08-11-2004 01:07 PM

i gotta question to add..i'm looking at putting electric brakes on my boat trailer as well...i found one company that sells sealed units designed to be submerged (sharkskin i believe they were called), my question is, do you have to use these, or can you still use just the regular electric units designed for any old trailer?

Hi-Tech Marine 08-11-2004 02:01 PM

Do you have a web site for these units ...... I will check them out and let you know.

You can go with eletric/Hyd system on your current trailer with brakes. THe usnits can be purchased through any larger trailer supplier. They are expensive and require brake lines in perfect condition due to the 1500 psi high end pressure.

rookie_j 08-11-2004 02:46 PM

did you get a plug in adapter (usually in the glove box) for the electric brake actuator??? if not ask the dealer which one you need..

ditto X 4 on the Tekonsha