Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Topic beat to death but... need an opinion. >

Topic beat to death but... need an opinion.

Notices

Topic beat to death but... need an opinion.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Topic beat to death but... need an opinion.

I have read everything I can find on this site about gear lube, talked to people and so on. In a new Bravo one, (< 40 hours on it) good idea or bad idea to switch to Mobil 1 gear lube? I have seen and heard both, and put it in last weekend, ran the boat for a few hours and it seemed to be ok. I know this is a debate that can, and has gone on forever but what are some thoughts today on this? Do any of you use it now? I know that Amsoil and RP, and Redline are all used along with Merc HP and what-not, but I was just looking for opinions on the M1 vs. good ole Merc HP. Thanks guys...
Old 07-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Topic beat to death but... need an opinion.

Imco and Teague both specify Amsoil or Redline and NOT Merc. for hi-perf application. I have used Amsoil for years with no lubrication related problems. --- Jer
Old 07-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Topic beat to death but... need an opinion.

Mercury HP is semi-synthetic and has antimony in it which is their choice of agent to help cushion metal to metal contact. Mobil-1 Synthetic uses ZDDP and moly. Amsoil uses ZDDP. Redline and Royal Purple use very high levels of moly. Mobil-1 exceeds GL-3 load ratings. Amsoil has a similiar product but their Marine lube is rated at only GL-2. I called Merc and they won't say what "HP" is rated at or they never tested it for an API rating? Who knows.

Teague has used synthetic gearlube in Bravo XR's in a test a year or so back and it worked fine in this Formula with xr's.

The synthetic oils seem to repel water and do not foam whereas some of the others will emulsify with the water if it comes in through bad seals and then foams and becomes useless.

A drive will run cooler with a synthetic is what most that have tested it will say.

I have gone completely over to Mobil. Most recently will change to the 20W-50 Synthetic "Motorcycle oil" because nothing can handle heat as well as this oil except Mobil's Synthetic Jet Aviation oil. I am not paying $ 25/qt and it's not for combustion engines anyways.

Remember; conventional oil is dinosaur remains that were synthesized by nature through a process called decomposition. It then must be purified. It aint that great of a concoction to begin with
Old 07-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Topic beat to death but... need an opinion.

Well, much like Troutly said in an earlier post, (back a while ago...) Amsoil is nice but the shipping costs and logistics of getting it are kinda BS. BTW, what do you think of the new Formula graphics for '05 Troutly!? I like the idea on the web site of being able to "see" them on a new boat as you check them off, 'bout time they got around to that.

Hydro - from what I can tell you are using M1 and think we're ok in doing so? I have the M1 in there now and have a poker run this weekend, so... I ran it for about 2 hours this past weekend to get any air out and shake it down, seemed to be ok. Should I stick with the M1 or go to a synthetic that's "approved" for marine use, like the Pennzoil synthetic?

As a side note, when I drained the Merc lube, it came out black to start, then it ran green, VERY minimal shavings on the bottom magnet and none on the top one. Seals are tight, yada yada...

Thanks guys!

Last edited by DoTheMath; 07-27-2004 at 08:25 PM.