Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacing u-joint assyseal, how hard is it? >

Replacing u-joint assyseal, how hard is it?

Notices

Replacing u-joint assyseal, how hard is it?

Old 07-27-2004, 07:19 PM
blackhawk

Default Replacing u-joint assyseal, how hard is it?

Well, I finally got what I needed to pressure test the whole system through the moniter and sure enough the seal in the u-joint assy is leaking.

How hard of a job is this? Obviously I need the retainer wrench but will I need any other special tools? It looks like I have to remove the pinion gear and bearings from the u-joint shaft to get to the seal. Will these need to be pressed off? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2004, 07:43 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replacing u-joint assyseal, how hard is it?

What type of drive??
Old 07-28-2004, 07:43 AM
blackhawk

Default Re: Replacing u-joint assy seal, how hard is it?

Yeah, that might help. It's a Blackhawk drive but the u-joint assy is identical to a Bravo.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Registered

yes...but why is that seal bad?...what else was effected???...will anything else be affected by R&R'ing the pinion correctly???let someone look at the entire drive/upper as a system...do not just look to correct the symptom...just my.02

never seen the inside of a blackhawk...but i rebuild XR's everyday.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The inside of the BH looks just like the standard bravo. You just take it apart a little differently.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:43 PM
blackhawk

Audacity, Cord is right the upper gear set is almost identical to the Bravo. And I agree with you on finding what caused it that's why I want to get inside there and see what's going on. But I am pretty sure that the seal has been leaking since I had the drive rebuilt and has continually gotten worse. And does the pinion gear and/or bearings have to be pressed off?

Thanks

Old 07-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Registered

yes
Old 07-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree, you dont need to remove the bearings to replace the seal. T
The pinion assembly will pull out after the nut has been removed. It might need some convincing, but it will come out. I usually take the ujoint off of the yoke. Then slide a wooden dowel in the ujoint bearing holes on the yoke and use a slide hammer to do the convincing. Once it is out. You loosen the nut and the yoke will slide out of the pinion gear. The seal retainer will be first behind the yoke. Look to see if it is rubbing on the yoke. It should be recessed a bit so that it doesnt rub. There are special tools to install the seal, but once you do a reassemble then it gets tricky. You could do the preload by feel and it will maybe work. Then the gears need to be aligned, or timed, properly before you put the pinion back in. Best to look at that from the back side of the drive..

Might be easier to give me a call and I can give you the pros and cons of doing it yourself. It may save you money or cost you big.. If you have never done it before, there is a learning curve. I will be home tonite, give me a call.. 616-335-8446. Where in Mich are you anyway. I am in Holland area.. if thats not too far from you. I can do the job. I have the tools and the knowledge.

Dick
Old 07-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered

dick, you are correct...but why did the seal fail?...for this you are going to have to press off those bearings to inspect and or replace...as with the entire upper system.also i never touch the u-joins unless i am going to toss them in the craper.

"It may save you money or cost you big"...i agree 110%...

sounds like maybe you should drive down the coast BH and let dick take a look...
Old 07-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had the same seal let go on my port side bravo drive and i am learning that the nut had loosend that holds the gear end yoke in place and had pushed the seal 1/8" out and caused me to have a well lubricated gimball bearing and a bilge full of gear lube!!!! You really need to find what caused the seal failure.

Quick Reply: Replacing u-joint assyseal, how hard is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.