Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can I run my CMI tube top headers dry? >

Can I run my CMI tube top headers dry?

Notices

Can I run my CMI tube top headers dry?

Old 08-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Darkhorse468

Default Can I run my CMI tube top headers dry?

I recently found out the hard way that two of my headers were leaking. Hopefully no damage was done as this happened at idle...to both motors. Yes I have checked comp. valvetrain, leakdown, etc. and sofar, no prob. Now I am stuck with two pair of headers that leak. I cannot afford to buy them new, and so far, I haven't gotten any reply from CMI as to them repairing them and polishing them. So...I am forced to consider alternatives. If I run the headers bypassed and inject the water into the sleeved tailpipes at the collectors rather than through the header tubes themselves, and wrap the tubes in thermo heat wrap tape like the racers do, I theoretically should be ok, right. The wrap will keep a major portion of the heat down, inside the engine bay, and blow it out the tails. and the transom will still be colled so it wont get too hot either. I have pretty good ventalation, which is going to inprove greatly with the adition of more venting in the raised engine hatch. What are the ideas about this? PLease let me know any thoughts

Old 08-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Can I run my CMI tube top headers dry?

I don't think the Coast Guard would like your plan. I also don't think it will work. Let Fred help you.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darkhorse468,
I had a CMI header crack at one time and after speaking to Randy at CMI, I sent the header to them to try to fix it. I got a call from someone (I forget who) but they replaced the header for no charge. Mercury didn't help me and the header was two years old. My header didn't crack at a weld and I flushed the engines after every use. They were get to deal with.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Darkhorse468

Pure Energy, NJsonic and Too Old,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLYS!!! It the first answers I've gotten and I've been sick abut this for a week. When I say I tried to contact CMI, it was by e-mail. I would SURELY appreciate ANY help and contacts I can get, and I just hope and pray these can be fixed. They didn't leak when I first got them, but the big change in heating/cooling cycles must have sped up the outcome. The only question is how old these are. I think they are early nineties, and the really are in decent shape outside...I'm also glad to hear that CMI is good to work with. Thank you again guys.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:22 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSONIC
Darkhorse468,
I had a CMI header crack at one time and after speaking to Randy at CMI, I sent the header to them to try to fix it. I got a call from someone (I forget who) but they replaced the header for no charge. Mercury didn't help me and the header was two years old. My header didn't crack at a weld and I flushed the engines after every use. They were get to deal with.

I think Mercury only helps themselves

Way to step up Fred You want find any other dealer ever even offer to do this .

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Darkhorse468

Too old,
I e-mailed you that number, and hope to hear from you soon.