Bravo 1 drive oil change procedure

Notices

Bravo 1 drive oil change procedure

Old 08-31-2004, 02:02 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bravo 1 drive oil change procedure

What is the correct procedure for B-1 drive oil change. I have dual external steering rams that have to be removed to get at top plug. Is there an easy way to avoid this? Suction pump?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-31-2004, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bravo 1 drive oil change procedure

you need to remove the top plug , and should be able to get to it with a stubby screwdriver without removing the steering ram. You dont need a suction pump. Remove the drain / fill screw in the lower unit below the prop shaft. The fluid drains from there. After draining, the fluid is pumped through the lower drain hole until it starts to come out from the top. Put the screws back in and then fill your reservoir. Your good to go.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:22 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
you need to remove the top plug , and should be able to get to it with a stubby screwdriver without removing the steering ram. You dont need a suction pump. Remove the drain / fill screw in the lower unit below the prop shaft. The fluid drains from there. After draining, the fluid is pumped through the lower drain hole until it starts to come out from the top. Put the screws back in and then fill your reservoir. Your good to go.
Thanks Bruce,

Unfortunately this particular ext. steering bracket has bracing that won't allow me to get at top plug. I was just looking to avoid taking this stuff off 2-3 times a year.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Registered

I dont think you have much of a choice. I could be wrong. But I think the top screw has to be removed.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I change my oil the drive reservoir will empty itself if I do not flip the bottle upside down or clamp off the line. I think it would drain but you would not be able to fill to correct level. Can the top cap be modified as the 89 B1's were to have a dipstick in it or is there a bearing change inside that would prevent this? What about drilling and tapping to move the plug to the other side of the tower?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:00 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BadDog
When I change my oil the drive reservoir will empty itself if I do not flip the bottle upside down or clamp off the line. I think it would drain but you would not be able to fill to correct level. Can the top cap be modified as the 89 B1's were to have a dipstick in it or is there a bearing change inside that would prevent this? What about drilling and tapping to move the plug to the other side of the tower?
I don't know much about the internals on a bravo 1 I have a bravo shop oil cooler built in the back housing and a shower. Otherwise I am very careful to be nice to it as I am running 580hp/580ft/lbs, am making the switch to Red Line heavy shockproof gear oil this weekend.

Mark
Old 08-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Registered

why not drill an access hole in the bracket so you can get to the screw??
Old 08-31-2004, 03:21 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hi-perf-2000
why not drill an access hole in the bracket so you can get to the screw??
Think I will have to go that route, however I will have to take to machine shop as this particular Warlock Performance Marine bracket has a 3/8" by 1" stiffener welded inside the bracket directly inline with the plug. I guess i could break out the trusty sawzall but I am afraid of leaving a weak spot that a crack could propogate from.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-31-2004, 03:28 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You do not need to remove the top vent plug to drain the oil. The reserve tank will allow the oil to drain. If you are changing over to Shock proof heavy let it drain for a day or so and run the drive up and let set 30min or so the run it back down. This helps shed the oil off of surfaces/compartments inside the drive. You will never get all of it out but this helps a little.

When filling keep and eye on the reserve as soon as you see oil entering stop and wait for it to stop rising in the reserve. Then top of reserve and you are done.

Rick
Old 08-31-2004, 03:35 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rv
You do not need to remove the top vent plug to drain the oil. The reserve tank will allow the oil to drain. If you are changing over to Shock proof heavy let it drain for a day or so and run the drive up and let set 30min or so the run it back down. This helps shed the oil off of surfaces/compartments inside the drive. You will never get all of it out but this helps a little.

When filling keep and eye on the reserve as soon as you see oil entering stop and wait for it to stop rising in the reserve. Then top of reserve and you are done.

Rick
Thanks Rick and everyone. I knew I would get the info I needed here. Off to pull my plug...So to speak

Mark

Quick Reply: Bravo 1 drive oil change procedure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.