Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Hydraulic steering questions (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/87131-hydraulic-steering-questions.html)

SledgeHammer 09-16-2004 10:01 PM

Hydraulic steering questions

I added a hydraulic helm after previously putting on an add on single ram hydraulic system. Now my steering wheel never seems to end up in the same place. Anyone have any idea why? Could it be air in the system? Any advice how to purge the air? Should hydraulic steering eliminate the low speed I/O wander?

Griff 09-16-2004 10:12 PM

Re: Hydraulic steering questions

It won't help wandering at idle on a single engine boat.

Tinkerer 09-16-2004 10:39 PM

Hydraulic wont center like cable stearing does.
the conection between the wheel and the drive is liquid and there is slippage ( best term I could think of ) so don't expect the wheel to stay centered.

Roger 1 09-17-2004 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Hydraulic wont center like cable stearing does.
the conection between the wheel and the drive is liquid and there is slippage ( best term I could think of ) so don't expect the wheel to stay centered.

Your wheel does`nt stay centered because it is a fluid connection instead of a mechanical one, that`s just the way it works. Get a three spoked wheel so it does`nt make you crazy.

SledgeHammer 09-17-2004 06:30 PM

Thanks Guys. Apparently mine is working like it is supposed to. You are right, It does drive me crazy. I guess I will get used to it.

Big Boys Toys 09-19-2004 06:41 AM

Sledge Hammer
Call the people you bought the helm from.
They will know the precise answer.
Installing the helm and bleeding the system does take some effort, you have to add a little fluid at a time and keep checking the reservoir. After several turns from left to rignt and some bleeding back at the cylinder you eventually will get all the air out.
Post what you find out.
Brian

Falcon 09-19-2004 10:12 AM

Full hydraulic helms always have some internal leakage so you loose your center position. To see what I mean, with the pump engine running hold the system against full steering lock. The wheel will creep. Because of the design of hydraulic helms it's usually worse in one direction than the other, I can't remember which direction. I've been in singles that with just the right conditions you would need to keep turning the wheel slightly to make up for the leakage against the steering torque.

SledgeHammer 09-23-2004 08:13 PM

Falcon, what you describe is exactly what mine does. Thanks for the feed back everyone.

Falcon 09-23-2004 08:32 PM

Do you think you still have air in the system? Does the reservoir level change much with the engine running vs not? It will change some due even with all of the air out because of line expansion under pressure.

Wobble 09-24-2004 09:06 AM

I installed a WPM full hydraulic system with dual rams. It took 3 weekends of boating and adding fluid before the system completly bled all the air out. The steering pretty much stays centered unless I force the steering against full lock. Very happy with the system except it is still a little heavy at 800rpm. Does any one know of an upgrade for the power steering pump?

Mark