Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/87150-ford-super-duty-drivetrain-problems.html)

p4-33 09-17-2004 09:08 AM

Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

In the past 15 months, I've had 2 rear differential failures, a transmission failure, and a clutch failure on my Ford F350 with 65,000 miles on it.

Granted, this truck's primary mission is a tow vehicle, but I'm not getting the impression that it's Build Ford Tough.

Is anyone else seeing similar drivetrain issues?

Thanks,
Brian

BajaRunner 09-17-2004 09:13 AM

Re: Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

had a transmission fail in mine. they said the pump exploded inside??

is yours chipped? I havent heard of the differentials going out, unless they are chipped. a friend had the same truck as mine, added a chip and in 175k miles went through 2 transmissions and 3 differentials.

p4-33 09-17-2004 09:20 AM

No chip, it's completely stock, even tire sizes. The trans is a 6-speed ZF manual trans, and I spit out some teeth on the overdrive gear. The replacement gears from Ford are now hardened - this one wasn't.

Both rear diff problems were limited-slip clutch failures, 15k miles apart.

p4-33 09-17-2004 09:24 AM

The clutch problem was a blown hydraulic actuator cylinder. Pedal went to the floor as I was pulling up to the launch ramp for the Port Huron race this year :eek:

BajaRunner 09-17-2004 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by p4-33

Both rear diff problems were limited-slip clutch failures, 15k miles apart.

that doesnt seem right.

i also forgot to mention, mine had 35's and thats why they said the transmission let go.

articfriends 09-17-2004 06:15 PM

I fix alot of auto's (e40d's) on these trucks but rarely the zf's,the guys with the highest stage banks kits that beat on them break stock auto trannys after about 40,000 miles of abuse.If you break another diff put in a dtroit locker,the limited slips don't normally blow up they usually burn out and act like a open diff (ford 10.25 sterlings). Make sur your tires are equal size on the rear and are aired up equally,if not your limited slip will burn out fast,Smitty

jryan26 09-17-2004 06:36 PM

I lost a tranny at 100k, but I had a chip in it since it was new. Funny thing is the chip burned up today!

outriggers 09-17-2004 10:39 PM

Artic, What's the secret to make a e4od live? Doug

Payton 09-18-2004 05:29 AM

I've got 87K on a 2002 F350. Not a single problem. It's all stock.

articfriends 09-18-2004 10:52 AM

Doug,the secret to making a e4od live (if it's still working good)
1. service it 3 times with any synthetic transmision fluid (that way its about mixed out of it).
2. Depending on what year it is look at your external cooler,if it isn't a humungus one(like the factory v-10/diesel cooler was in 2003) then change the cooler completely to a low pressure drop plate and fin style,i sell one made by long/dana corp that has a gvw rating of 40,000 gvw,it cools so well it comes w/a thermostatic bypass valve to keep the temp up when its cold outside(they instruct you to NOT plumb it thru factory radiator cooler).
3. If the transmisions already damaged and your looking to have it rebuilt insist on full upgrades,there are commercial clutch packs for 3rd/reverse,clearence kits that prevent common complaints (like harsh/bang reverse),the transgo shift kit is about the best,it should always be used(it's more for preventing cmmon problems than chirping the tires),there are steel accumulator valves that replace the aluminum factory ones that gall and stick causing failure,there is a nice steel boost valve that goes in the pump (stock one wears /gets loose), a hardened sunshell (the stock one is soft stamping and quickly wears out under hard use)various other mods and upgrades.
There were a million running changes thru the history of this trans,the 89's were Junk,weaker than a c-6,the 90-95's were mediocre(when rebuilt they should have pump replaced completely,the 96 up pump puts out 30% more flow),the shift solenoid block and prndl switch both need updating too. Your 96-up were better and had the aforementioned parts,plus some had (depending on motor) 4 pinion planetary gears caged in aluminum instead of 3 pinion ones,also had a center support roller bearing instead of a bushing & some other small changes
late 97 up,the trans got redesignated as a 4r100,sprags were beefed up,torrington bearings got added were they had cheap thrust washers,the v-10's & diesels got Beefy 6 pinion steel planets,reverse clutch teeth were coarser so they wouldn't strip out as easy,same w/overdrive (all these parts can be retrofitted to a earlier trans also,and most of them can also be put in a c-6 too)
In some 2000/2001 models they got stupid and put in a failure prone,ratcheting type 2nd gear sprag (it has to go in trash during rebuild)
Lastly,torque convertors,ford has been plagued w/ convertor failure off and on thruout the history of this overdrive,lockup damper plates crack internally causing lockup shudders then eventual total planetary failure due to heat,the aftermarket has improved pieces they put in during the rebuild process,
Doug,I hope this might have helped your question,Smitty