Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
home made swimplatform? is it worth doing. >

home made swimplatform? is it worth doing.

Notices

home made swimplatform? is it worth doing.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question home made swimplatform? is it worth doing.

I'm thinking about putting a swimplatform on my cigarette. I priced one out from extreme marine at $1499.00. My question is has anyone ever made one at home. Bought the stock and had someone weld it together. Is it worth doing at home to save money? Thanks Scott
Old 10-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: home made swimplatform? is it worth doing.

Skramer what size is your boat. My buddy sold his 38' this year and may still the the platform. It is S.S. tube construction. He is away till monday so I can't check till then
Old 10-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an Extreme Marine swim platform on my 10-Meter Fountain, and have been very happy with it. This is (I think) 1 1/2" aluminum tubing with a lot of bends in it. The main "slats" for walking on have a flattened area where non-skid strips get inlaid. Also a bunch of TIG welding. Top it off with a power coat job, and $1499 doesn't seem like a bad price.

If you have the materials, a tubing bender/flattener, TIG welding facilities (and capabilities), and lots of time to design it, then it might be worth a try. Extreme Marine swim platforms are on hundreds of Cigarettes, so they've done this before. Would this be your first?

Good luck,
Brian
Old 10-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

$1499.00 is an excellent price, mine was from BBracket and about $500.00 more but was custom for my 88 Fountain.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mmwalters
Skramer what size is your boat. My buddy sold his 38' this year and may still the the platform. It is S.S. tube construction. He is away till monday so I can't check till then
I have a 35 cafe. Let me know if he still has it. Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by p4-33
I put an Extreme Marine swim platform on my 10-Meter Fountain, and have been very happy with it. This is (I think) 1 1/2" aluminum tubing with a lot of bends in it. The main "slats" for walking on have a flattened area where non-skid strips get inlaid. Also a bunch of TIG welding. Top it off with a power coat job, and $1499 doesn't seem like a bad price.

If you have the materials, a tubing bender/flattener, TIG welding facilities (and capabilities), and lots of time to design it, then it might be worth a try. Extreme Marine swim platforms are on hundreds of Cigarettes, so they've done this before. Would this be your first?

Good luck,
Brian
It would be my first, But a buddy of mine thinks it would be easy. I was ready do order from extreme marine today. Till he made the suggestion. So I thought I would do some research on oso. Thanks for your insight.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered

Talking Re: home made swimplatform? is it worth doing.

Of course its worth it,I made one for my formula and had it powder coated.You can make it to go around exhaust,trim tabs or deeper or whatever.Cost was about 650 with powder coating,use aluminum sheet and cut out designs like cigarette does.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Registered

I bought one from extreme marine for my Scarab and after seeing the job they did I felt it was worth the money. They had the support placements and transom angles perfect. They send out a swatch book of powder coat colors so you can match it to your gelcoat. They were also very cool to deal with. I'm a satisfied customer.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I got mine from extreme marine too.
Attached Thumbnails home made swimplatform? is it worth doing.-super3.jpg  
Old 10-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Of course its worth it,I made one for my formula and had it powder coated.You can make it to go around exhaust,trim tabs or deeper or whatever.Cost was about 650 with powder coating,use aluminum sheet and cut out designs like cigarette does.
hey plumbers do you have any picyures of your platform?

Quick Reply: home made swimplatform? is it worth doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.