Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What are your thought's on changing this Triple to a Staggered? >

What are your thought's on changing this Triple to a Staggered?

Notices

What are your thought's on changing this Triple to a Staggered?

Old 10-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Re: What are your thought's on changing this Triple to a Staggered?

Puder,

Seems if I left it a side by side with the current 40" center that it
would leave the hull pretty low in the water.

Right now with the three #6's they are each 20''s apart.

Cougarman
Old 10-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 502procharger
i love turbines, i am building a twin turbine boat right now, slowly. to start with that boat will never perform well with a single turbine. the boat would want to twist all the time. the only turbine worth putting in it if it were going to be a single woulf be a t55 and they are big buckr sight now. you could, for less money go with 2 t53-13 turbines like i am 1350-1500hp each depending on water injection or not. the turbines onley weigh 500lbs each and would work well with the #6 drives and tran. you have. once set up, and as long as you doo not over temp them. you will never touch them again. you could run them at 100% all day. they burn 84gph at wot each but thats prob not that much more than 3 bbc at wot. they wil run on several diff fuels as well. if you have any interest figure the -13b or -13ba will run you 15-20k each. i have people i can get them from if you have any interest.
All I know is that we did a 38' cougar cat with twin T58s and the only problem we have had is the motors. Have had 3 different motors in the port side alone.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

the t58 is a great motor but not 1/2 as beefy as the t53. it is lighter and makes good hp but neds a lot of mods to turn the exhaust up. it also is a 10 stage axial comp with very week blades. i have run a bunch of t58's as well as the gnome, same turbine except for the fuel system and have never had great luck with them. i know people running both though and most have good luck. i just like the t53 because it has the built in gear red. box and seems to be a little more simple to work on and get parts. the t58 is a complex turbine.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

502procharger,

I don't know a whole lot on turbines, Thought at one time I heard
they burn the same amount of fuel at idle as well as WOT.

Basically due to the way they inject fuel along with the blade system.
I was under the impression that the brake is all that determines
the rpm's at WOT or an idle.

Feel free to correct, for my lack of knowledge on these.

What size boat are you putting yours in, and what are your
goals to achieve with it?

Cougarman
Old 10-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

502procharger What is nice about the T58 are the exhaust is on the back of the motor which puts the exhaust at the transom of the boat. We have several exhaust elbows that are turned. The jet set boat runs T58-t1000 and seems to have very little problems. We have the same setup with the Arensons gear boxs and mounts. There is some secret we do not know or maybe just bad luck I guess.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Registered

cougarman, ok yes a break is needed because of the fact that most turbines idle at 40-50% but there is deff. a throttle that increases rpm and power. a t53 burn about 84gph at 100% and about 50gpr @45% but who puts turbines in a boat and does not run the piss out of it. the break is to slow the n2(power turbine) to a shiftable speed or to stop it for a few sec to shift into gear, you really should not stop it for long because you can burn a blade on the power turbine, or hurt the power turbine nozzle. It takes someone who wants to play around a lot to get them set up and running to your liking but it is worth it in the end.

mmwalters, we run the t53, the same as the t58's with the exhaust to the back, you are right less bends the better. the t53 has a cold power shaft at the front of the motor, we Mount a drop 17" on the front of the motor. like a v drive but no v. to a drive shaft back to a trans or crash box. i was not putting down the t58 at all great turbine, Howard has used them several times with great luck but it is a complex setup it has a 10 stage ax. comp section vs 5 stage on the t53. i would hate to say you are just having bad luck but something seems fishy that you the same side each time. what is going wrong. there may be a cooling issue on that side. i would look at something that has been used each time and not changed when the turbine has been replaced like the cooling or water injection system if it has one. i would be more than happy to try to help you figure out what might be causing your problems, i am sure many many experts have tried to help, i am far from an expert but maybe a diff person looking at the issue might help
Old 10-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Registered

Frist I want to apoligize to Cougarman for highjacking your thread.
502 We have several faliures including the carbon seal in the hot section, dumping all the oil in to the exhaust. Had that fixed by a helicopter mechnic,leaked just as bad Replaced that motor to save time. Also had the hot section burn out the blades, probely our fault. Fuel controllers on both motors had to be replaced. And there have been continueing problems of starting due to fuel, adjustments to the fuel controller are hard in the boat due to mounting. The latest problem is that the port motor is blowing the oil out of the storage tank vent at a rapid rate. The turbine guy is making a baffel tank he feel will fix that. The other disapointing thing is this boat never ran as well as expected, could be a prop issue but the motors never ran long enought to work it out. We will give it a try again next year
Old 10-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both the Lycoming T53 and the GE T58 have a fuel consumption burn rate of 0.6 gal/hp. This equates to 123 gal/hr for the Lycoming and 120 for the T58. 84 gph???

As far as complex? This is a bit far fetched as you are making it sound like someone is going to constantly have to work on the thing. More or less compressor stages really plays no role in these working or not working in the boat.

I have used both engines in boats, so I have the perspective of what works. Both do work and will work well in the right applications. An issue where the Lycoming suffers greatly is that the compressor cases are made from Magnesium where as the GE are made from Aluminum and this is a real issue in the marine environment. Paint/coatings are really b.s. at best if they are no prepped correctly.

The planetary on the Lycoming is good, but not the strongest point if the propeller sees a severe shock load from contacting something.

The Lycoming has a great charging system where the GE does not have one.

There are pro’s and con’s to both, it just depends upon the application.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Registered

rik, i quoted the .58lbs per hr per shp based on the -11 which at a continuous of 1000shp. diesel weighs 6.84lb per gallon. 1000X.58 =580lbs/hr at 1000shp divide that by 6.84lbs per/gal gives you 84.79. If you are who i think you are we have spoke on a few times about t53-13's vs the 11's. when i was referring to the t58 being complex it is because i have done work and repaired both turbines, nozzles, ect and maybe it is just me but the t53 is a much more user friendly turbine. Both turbines can be made to work well but you and i both know all the machining that must be done to a t58 to run the exhaust up, not to mention the cost of the sgr. then you get into the GE VS the gnome and which fuel system is better for a marine application. (the GE is) The t58 also has a 300amp gen as you stated and that is a huge plus and starters/gens are about a third the cost. again if you are who i think you are you guys have done way more work with these turbines and are an expert as far as i am concerned. i was just stating my opinion from my personal experience. we have yet to brake a -11 or -13 planetary gear setup but i have broke a -9 which is the older style. what kind of luck have you had with the tf-13, i think you guys helped set up a warlock with twin tf-13's
Old 10-06-2004, 12:43 AM
Registered

oh yeah, i am sure you have seen them but there is a billet top and bottom case availible for the -13 that solves that issue but they are big bucks

Quick Reply: What are your thought's on changing this Triple to a Staggered?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.